• Breaking News

    Sunday, August 23, 2020

    Fallout | In my opinion Fallout needs a better “lie” mechanic to be more immersive.

    Fallout | In my opinion Fallout needs a better “lie” mechanic to be more immersive.


    In my opinion Fallout needs a better “lie” mechanic to be more immersive.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 01:12 PM PDT

    A "lie" mechanic such as an NPC having the ability to lie to you whether it's based on a karma system, an affinity, charisma, strength, factions, or maybe a slight combination of them all. I know in fo4 we have the ability to lie to some NPC's to get information but why does it feel as if NPC's never lie to me. They are only hiding something.

    I feel like to make the game a bit more immersive and entertaining they should dive deeper into NPC's having the ability to lie to you. I know in fo4 we have deacon that lies all the time about his past but that never really effects the player more just the lore surrounding him. I feel like the devs waddled into it a bit when we are approached by a raider and told that "my friends need help!" Only to get ambushed and that moment really sticks in my head for a player experience. I feel like a lot of events that were made to feel like a lie were only hidden truths that we later are able to solve through progression. I might not have fully been able to put to words my ideas or where a lie mechanic would eventually lead but I feel like being lied to only to find out that someone is lying rather than not being told the truth only to discover the truth is a lot more exciting, emotional, and realistic. I can go on about the hidden truths in the game, the institute being the biggest, but I want to know if anyone else feels like this?

    submitted by /u/smbllue
    [link] [comments]

    There are some really nice people in Appalachia.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 10:21 AM PDT

    Just the other day I was playing fallout 76, which I hadn't touched since about a week after launch, and I decided to join a random public event team. I was in the Wendigos cave for the Rose raider password quest and I was having trouble getting through the cave as a level 19 character, so I asked someone on my team to help me and they did. At the end of the cave they gave me a bunch of ammo, and told me to fast travel to their base for more stuff to help me, so I did and they fully kitted out my power armor, gave me a marsupial mutation serum, and a whole bunch of other stuff like plans and large holiday gifts. People like them are great, and really I just wanted to say thank you to everyone like him. Spread a little kindness and help out some low levels.

    Tldr: be nice

    submitted by /u/TheLastKnightsBlight
    [link] [comments]

    Mutant Canadian Geese

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 09:40 AM PDT

    I definitely feel like those fuckers would survive the nuclear holocaust. Would be fun to blast them in the face with a shotgun.

    submitted by /u/PablcoEscobarsChef
    [link] [comments]

    Which Vault has the creepiest backstory in your opinion?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 09:56 PM PDT

    This applies to vaults seen in and out of the Fallout games.

    submitted by /u/InMyNoodles
    [link] [comments]

    What is your favourite fallout character ever?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 09:37 AM PDT

    For me personally it has to be fawkes hes just quality

    submitted by /u/ShithouseHendo
    [link] [comments]

    500+ hours on this game and I never knew this

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 12:18 AM PDT

    So I'm just playing fallout, as one would, on my pc (I mainly play on my ps4 so I'm only like 2 hours into the game) and I'm just walking around exploring west of sanctuary, and then I get jumped by a few mole rats. Nothing too crazy, until I hear a beeping noise like the super mutant suiciders. So I'm looking around for a super mutant (a little confused why or how they would be that far northwest) and I see a mole rat with two mines strapped to each side of it. I'm assuming a raider did this, but I've never seen that in my life. Just found that interesting. Crazy how big the game is and that I'm still learning a lot about it after like 6 play-throughs and 4 ongoing ones.

    submitted by /u/Foshy_Urgason
    [link] [comments]

    A custom Tavern I made in my settlement

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 01:21 AM PDT

    I made a "Luxury Wastelanders" Tavern for my castle settlement:

    Hope you like it :)

    https://youtu.be/AI_heaL9EWM

    submitted by /u/CaptainJarrettYT
    [link] [comments]

    I need help finding the name of a VATS sound file for FO4

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 02:26 PM PDT

    Basically I'm trying to replace the sound file for when you click on an enemy's body part. You know the one. But whenever I try replacing it, it doesn't work. I thought UI_VATS_SelectPart would be the right one, but it triggers the custom sound when I just mouse over body parts, and not select them. UI_VATS_TargetLock_01 was my neck choice, but that isn't working either. If anyone knows the right file name, I'd really appreciate it.

    submitted by /u/Nathan_TK
    [link] [comments]

    Suggestions on which way I should beat fo4

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 03:27 AM PDT

    I've put over 1000 hours in this game, and I've only done institute and brotherhood endings, Ik there's a lot more options of ways I can beat it, any recommendations?

    submitted by /u/brendenkunze
    [link] [comments]

    Two fun fact about Vault 114 (and one question)

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 12:14 PM PDT

    The first lock Nick Valentine will lock pick he mades a comment saying the lock it's easier when the lock isn't on the other side. I believe it was made so if the overseer wanted to lock himself to avoid any protesting crowd, he could not. The other thing is the fact that there are tons of stairs, and no elevator, giving the hard life to the dwellers. And my question, was it used? Wasn't it an experiment: it's in the metro, and imagine, you're in the subway and kaboom, you see a vault door in front of you, wouldn't you go in it even if the vault was still in construction? Better than being outside on a nuclear day

    Edit: you cannot close the door while Skinny is counting ¯_ಠ

    submitted by /u/Warren1317
    [link] [comments]

    One of the worst things about Fallout is people, and how they can be improved.

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 04:24 AM PDT

    In many industries, people are the most valuable asset. However, in gaming, the player should have most of the attention, since playing a game in which you save the world, often single-handedly and multiple times, is an exercise in narcissism, and yet, here we are. We all play these games for one reason or another, but, at the same time, the weakness in these games is the (other) people. I have some ideas for how I'd fix them, too.

    For me, the problem is split three ways. There's the factions, the settlers, and the more or less independent NPCs. I'm focusing on Fallout 4 here, but some of these points apply to Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas as well, and possibly to that other one, now that it has NPCs, but I'm not sure.


    My biggest problem with factions is probably that I was spoiled by a little-known Xbox game called Crackdown. One of the Grand Theft Auto clones that came out of the '00s, it placed you in the role of a Secret Agent whose job is to dismantle three gangs, one at a time, by taking out the lieutenants who are each responsible for a certain aspect of the gang. One acquired cars, one acquired arms, one trained the gang members in hand to hand combat... and as you took out these lieutenants, the gang would suffer in measurable and expected ways. Sure, it's probably just stat debuffs, but it's cool... and it works.

    And yet, when I play Fallout 4, MacCready tells me that the Mass Pike Interchange Gunners hideout manned by Winlock and Barnes is an important asset for them. So, why is it that destroying it does absolutely nothing? Why does taking out Gunners HQ do absolutely nothing?

    Without any mods, Fallout 4 contains an intricate organization of Raiders, with various gangs of Raiders operating in various areas, and seemingly with rivalries and alliances. Why is this only mentioned in terminals and not actionable in any way? There's even a plot where one Raider gang kidnaps a member of another. Why can't we work this system?

    It's not just the bad guys. Sure, we see Minutemen and Brotherhood patrols when we start working with those factions, but we should see them improve as we improve them. To unlock the Minutemen patrols, you either have to unlock the Castle, or so many settlements... but when you have artillery support, all the settlements, etc., they don't improve. Like, what are we even working toward here?

    In the original game, the Brotherhood is set up as the bad guys, sort of. Instead of bringing the Commonwealth together, as the Minutemen do, the Brotherhood basically wants slave farms. So you can strengthen the Brotherhood by enslaving farms, but, all that really does is get you food, and if you link the Boston Airport to a settlement with food, or a network of all your settlements, you can head canon it to believe that the Minutemen are just supporting the Brotherhood, and vice versa. So, we need another way to bring up the Brotherhood, aside from doing their quests. Fortunately, there are military bunkers all over the Commonwealth, and mostly not used for anything. There's the one up north that is connected to a story point, but after/if you get that guy out of there, it should be able to become a Brotherhood outpost. So, like settlements provide Minutemen support, these military bunkers/outposts should provide Brotherhood support. As for the Railroad... we could have "listening posts" anywhere, really. We already have dead drops that can use any trash can in the Commonwealth.


    Moving on from factions, the settlers are a real problem, because they're so shallow. Sturges says if people have a home, they'd be willing to defend it, in the Sanctuary quest. But, they don't have a home. Not really. I can tear down the ruined home just north of the workbench house, make a bunkhouse, and bam, everyone has a bed that's covered, and that's all it takes, and they don't even use the same bed every time. It's just a resource. The women don't demand privacy at all. It's very unrealistic.

    I'd like each settler to kind of forage and not be good for anything until they introduce themselves to you. They should have a name, and a basic set of needs. I'd also like to see families. So you get one guy, he wants a place by the water (if there is water at the settlement), he wants to be left alone, so you build him a little shack down by the water, and that's the only bed he sleeps in, and no other. A woman shows up with her two little girls, and she wants safety and security for them. So she needs a small house with a door that can lock, and the settlement defense has to be above a certain point, or she doesn't work (she instead spends the time guarding her children, and this doesn't contribute to settlement defense). And each settler has a thing they're good at. Assign them to an appropriate job, they outperform others. Assign them to a tangentially appropriate job, they do okay. Assign them to something opposite, they underperform.

    As such, you shouldn't show up at a settlement and there are now a dozen new settlers (and their children and pets). The settlement recruitment system needs a massive overhaul. As in, there's just one or a few regional "feeder" settlements. Like Starlight for the northwest. You build the beacon there, settlers pour in, it's like a camp for new settlers, you meet the settlers one on one, look at their needs and wants, then look at your settlements, and decide where to put them. Then, you go there and set up their accommodations. The game then judges you on their accommodations, and that plus the job you assign them, determines their efficiency, and contribution to happiness.

    I think it goes without saying that settler (and named) merchants need to be overhauled in a massive way. Anyone else tired of hearing about steak knives? If a settler is a merchant, they need to let you get to the barter menu quick. Have a conversation option, but make their opening bark something short and sweet. "I'm sure I have what you're looking for" is fine.

    The other major area I want to address is settler arming and attire. As we fend off Raider and Gunner raids, and even Super Mutants, I'd like to see settlers pick up better arms and armor, in line with their skills. I'm pretty sure NPCs can already do this, if they come across a weapon or armor with better stats, switch into it. Why don't settlers do this? There should be a way to dump weapons and armor into a community armory (or just in the street) and have the settlers equip the best stuff. Another alternative would be to have an option with Lucas, the armor dealer, to outfit all your settlers in an armor type. 10,000 caps, and all your settlers have leather to start with. Another 10,000, or 15,000, and it's light combat armor. And this just scales up. Same thing with weapons, with Cricket. My guy has like 65k caps. There's nothing I can't buy right now. The economy is straight up broken, and short of using console commands or Cheat Terminal, there should be no way for the player to come out entirely on top of the economy like that. We should always have unattainable purchases to work toward, that actually do something.


    As far as unaffiliated NPCs go... it's the same argument we've been making for years. So there's a scripted encounter in Fallout: New Vegas, and it's just south of Goodsprings, where this guy (or couple?) send you up for something, and it's a trap, and when you come down, they rob you at gunpoint. It's supposed to go off early game, but it's very possible to miss this encounter, and then come back loaded up in power armor and great weapons, and this random asshole off the street tries to hold you up. It's stupid, but the game never planned for you to be high level there, so it treats you like you're not. While New Vegas was actually an Obsidian game, it's based on Bethesda's engine, and the same thing happens in Fallout 3 and 4.

    In Skyrim, there's a mod called Guard Dialog Overhaul that stops the barks like "no lollygagging" and "let me guess, someone stole your sweetroll" that pop off randomly, even when you're Thane (essentially, a favored noble) in the Hold (local area) and forces most NPCs to treat you with more respect. Fallout 4 came out after that mod was released, so it's kind of embarrassing that Fallout 4 would continue to behave in that way. It would do Bethesda a world of good to look at the bug fix/overhaul mods on the Nexus and see what people are changing and look at why. This was a problem in their 2011 game that fans were able to solve, so why is it a problem in their 2015 game? It's stupid. It's a problem that has no reason to exist, and yet here we are.


    I think that about covers it... I know Bethesda (probably) doesn't read posts here, and I also know none of these are new issues. I know I'm kind of preaching to the choir here. But just wanted to throw some of these ideas out there, and in one place. Anybody have anything to add? Am I off-base on some ideas? Am I expecting too much here?

    submitted by /u/CerebralHawk
    [link] [comments]

    Probably a stupid question

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 11:31 PM PDT

    Currently playing fallout 4 and there's a friendly brotherhood npc that is legendary and has a weapon i want but I don't want to lose my relationship with the brotherhood ive been quicksaving before trying to pickpocket but I had no luck without violence so I've had to restart and i looked and i have no points in picklocking. If I go level up and return later with maxed picklocking will I be able to steal the weapon peacefully and would the npc still be there?

    If this question doesn't make since I apologize and I am very drunk and doing my best.

    submitted by /u/Alamander-is-sad
    [link] [comments]

    Piper sucks, but her introduction is THE WORST

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 11:44 AM PDT

    Honestly. She sucks as a reporter, her whole MO is to get in peoples faces, she suckers you into opening the gate for her on your very first interaction. I get she's suppose to be "the agent of change" in Diamond City, but she's a goddamn child. If I could follow through on Mayor McDonough's threat, I'd scrap her press myself. It's opinion pieces, no facts. She's a blogger, not a reporter.

    Even with that, the Institute is suppose to be some grand secret organization that operates in the shadows, and one of your first companions gives you the scoop on who the BBEG is??

    I honestly would have liked if the game had kept me guessing. If I wondered whether or not the Institute existed, that would have been great development for the faction. But the fact that she's like "Oh, people get kidnapped all the time, institute this and that.." Kind of confirms who done it, and changes your task from figuring shit out, to finding the Institute. That always bothered me. Honestly, I kind of would have loved to see the story develop that the institute didn't actually exist, and people were truly paranoid. Maybe a splinter cell of the remnants of the Enclave stoked the fears, hoping to be able to sweep in and re-establish themselves? Or maybe a rogue BOS operative started the rumors, looking for an excuse to sweep the Commonwealth for tech?

    I don't know. All I know is her introduction ruined some of the story for me. I never recruit her by doing her dumb article thing, I always go to the bar on first visit (I mean, RP-wise? You'd head to the local watering hole for rumors before going to the woman who used you to fuck with the mayor.) Without knowing the connection, she actually seems like such a raging dick. I felt bad for the Mayor for having to deal with her crap before finding out he was an Institute spy. Even after, I still would have turned to Piper and been like "Bitch, you weren't right. You knew nothing. All you did was harass someone, and by chance, you picked the right person to harass. You had no reason to pick him, you weren't right, you were lucky, shut up."

    submitted by /u/Doomsinner
    [link] [comments]

    Ideas for the next/future fallout games.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 06:52 PM PDT

    Just like you im a fan of the fallout games I have played all the fallout games except for tactics and brotherhood Ill be just giving my opinion on changes and ideas for the next/future fallout games

    - Since story's can be harder to make for a game that's meant to be exploring around so why not have the option to form your own story choose how you want to start A wastelander, vault dweller, raider etc this makes the game more fun and brings more options like if your a raider you will cause terror in the wasteland and destroy settlements or be a vault dweller or whatever and decide to help and rebuild the wasteland to make it a better place this also adds to more role playing options.

    - If you have played fallout 1 and 2 they are more dark and realistic showing what the world looks like after a nuclear war making an empty dark and scary wasteland, the newer fallout games aren't dark there more colorful and enemy's are not scary looking, getting rid of the radio stations and changing the sound track and making the games music dark and making you feel like a deathclaw could come out at any second and strike showing what a wasteland is like.

    - Having more choices. In fallout New Vegas you had karma now add more to this like if you kill more settlers they will hate you and can attack you but raiders will like you and ask you to join or if you kill raiders more and more they will be scared of you and try not to attack but settlers will like you and even help you in battle now factions lets take the institute for example if you side with them the BOS and Minuteman will hate you and kill you on sight as they see you as a threat.

    - Choosing a better future. If you read the first one I said "if your a raider you will cause terror in the wasteland and destroy settlements or be a vault dweller or whatever and decide to help and rebuild the wasteland to make it a better place" with this you can change the game and how it plays out for the story your building will you destroy and kill people to stop people from making a better world and making it a empty wasteland or will you help rebuild and make the wasteland safer and better for everyone.

    - In fallout there is no transportation like cars so what about mutated horses

    - When you do missions for factions you do like 2 mission then your there leader why not improve that take for example the BrotherHood you first start out helping then you join then become a knight, paladin etc.

    - Survival/Hardcore need more like giving companions food and water, cold and hot feature so you have to wear certain clothes in areas, Getting sick like a cold were your slow and cant do much or getting fat or to skinny similar to GTA SA.

    - Coop I think just a simple 2 player coop like far cry would be nice or if they want more people you can have it were more players join the harder enemies will be and better guns and weapons.

    This is all I can think of for now just remember that this is just my opinion thanks for reading and have a good day. Feel free to list your ideas

    submitted by /u/80zVoid
    [link] [comments]

    Free Nuka World Key bc I bought the wrong one

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 06:24 PM PDT

    W3EGQ-4IF4Y-D6B3R

    submitted by /u/OkRecordMe
    [link] [comments]

    [XB1] How to fix ada no legs option bug on survival

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 01:51 AM PDT

    I have looked everywhere and there's no answers

    submitted by /u/Reznov119
    [link] [comments]

    Is there a good way to get a lot of caps in new vegas?

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 01:18 AM PDT

    So i want to get a strengh implant so that i can use the anti material rifle for my sniper character but im short on caps. Can anyone help me?

    submitted by /u/isuckatnames06
    [link] [comments]

    TIL that despite Fallout's famously retro soundtrack, games have actually featured music made as recently as 2009.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 05:14 PM PDT

    Timeline of the music of the Fallout series

    New Vegas features the song "Sit and Dream" by Pete Thomas.

    (And if you include non-mainstream, lyric-free music, 76 contains two tracks released in 2011.)

    submitted by /u/JanetYellensFuckboy
    [link] [comments]

    Enough about the settlements already Preston

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:56 PM PDT

    I absolutely love the minutemen in fallout 4 and want to use Preston Garvey as a companion. The problem is that he is always giving me the radiant timed quests like always.

    And I can't download the mod in the title because I play on Xbox 1.

    Is there a version of this mod but for the Xbox?

    submitted by /u/Awesomefluffyns
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for DLC sized mod recommendations.

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 01:00 PM PDT

    I haven't picked up FO4 for a while now, but I have recently had an urge to again, but I have played through the main story so many times I don't really want to touch it again. I'm looking for mods kinda like Cascadia or London that basically make a new game out of it. Or, barring that, huge DLC sized mods. Thx in advance.

    submitted by /u/deca4531
    [link] [comments]

    First dlc suggestions for fallout New vegas

    Posted: 23 Aug 2020 04:22 AM PDT

    I have been playing fallout NV for years and never bought any dlc but recently I bought honest hearts is this a good dlc to start with ? Or is there a better one anyone can suggest.

    submitted by /u/menisthot_
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout boardgame?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 02:16 PM PDT

    So I got the fallout boardgame as a gift and I was wondering if anyone has played it on here. I mean I haven't even opened it up yet. Is it complicated? I saw it has well over 100 pieces. I'm just looking for opinions about it honestly.

    submitted by /u/whoisadamhuff
    [link] [comments]

    [FO4] Can you tell people about father?

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 06:58 PM PDT

    so this is my first FO4 playtrough.

    After going into the institute with the Brotherhood, meeting Shaun and the "real" Shaun, I came back and talked to both Maxon and Ingram, the quests completed and it was all good but like, I couldn't really say anything about Shaun or Father and no one asked me about it.

    can I even tell that groundbreaking info with someone else?

    Like, I was so excited to tell people "the big bad is my son" but no one seems to care...

    submitted by /u/jskfjspahdjrv
    [link] [comments]

    In the fallout universe, why is everything stuck in 1961 if the wars happened 116 years later

    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 08:06 PM PDT

    Tile, I played through NV twice and I am simply curious

    submitted by /u/Bill_Cipher42
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment