• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 9, 2021

    Fallout | 2000 hours in Fallout 4 and yet,

    Fallout | 2000 hours in Fallout 4 and yet,


    2000 hours in Fallout 4 and yet,

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 01:58 PM PST

    That fucking Runaway's Holotape still makes me shed a tear everytime I find it on every single playthrough. Such a simple simple setup, with only like 3 objects for the enviromental story. For this poor young woman, pregnant, scared, hiding from her own family in a cabin she spent her youth at, with only a dress and a pack of gum and a sleeping bag, one of the last things she ever says aloud is "will things ever be normal again?" And two hundred years later you come upon her skeleton, laying dormant in her secret hideaway. It just strikes a chord with me for how simple and mundane her problem was, how common it is in our real world, and for that to just be extinguished in nuclear fire in an instant. Idk man, it gets to me. Rip runaway girl.

    submitted by /u/sas2480
    [link] [comments]

    EU approves Microsoft’s $7.5 billion Bethesda acquisition

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:31 AM PST

    One step closer to all Fallout games on Game Pass.

    The Verge Article

    submitted by /u/USS-William-D-Porter
    [link] [comments]

    I actually love the metro stations from Fallout 3

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:50 PM PST

    I think they are hated for all the wrong reasons. They are excellent for the map. Transitting from place to place using the metros are generally a blast for me. Using essentially dungeons for this reason is genius if you think about it. I'm not saying FO3 is the best. I think it is significantly worse than FO:NV but the dungeons are much better. What do you think?

    submitted by /u/Singlewhiskey
    [link] [comments]

    Who else prefers the Minuteman instead of the railroad?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:12 AM PST

    What minor faction from previous games would be fun to see return?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 09:04 PM PST

    I'd kind of like to see more of the Hubologists.

    submitted by /u/HasSomeSelfEsteem
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone think a fallout tv series set in a vault would be good?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 03:37 AM PST

    Something like snow piercer.

    submitted by /u/EatDaRich201
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 76, and hopeful it's one-day single player release.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:05 PM PST

    I know it's only been 2 years since release and it's likely to keep going for years, but whenever I play the game solo I always look to it as a considerably better fallout 4 in perma survival mode.

    There's some wonderful stories ingame and the mechanics are quite neat, so I'd think it'd be nice to see it get a single player release, or something along the lines where you can play the game up to a power fantasy level, soloing nuke silos, going on one man armies against the scorch beast queen. And the countless improvements made to the game what I wished vanilla fallout 4 was

    The game to me has a surrealist charm to how they took fallout 4 and made it waaay better. The new weapons added feel like they where high quality mods with how sleek the profiles are, yet it's a smooth integration. The revamped vats system in live time is amazing, the backpack system and camps are lovely portable bases, if all of this was added to FO4 I'd be even more in love with that game.

    The map of appalachia is glorious, and honestly it's funny how I'm going to end up in college there soon

    Sorry my mind was wandering today and I kept thinking of how much fun I've had in game with the first 150 hours (the point where a game become something special to me) but I feel sadness when I realized that the issues I have with the game is that it's made to be multiplayer online.

    submitted by /u/roboderp16
    [link] [comments]

    Any Wheel of Time fans?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 06:22 PM PST

    My Caesar's legion Miniature conversions

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 12:47 PM PST

    Here are some Caesar's Legion miniatures I have converted out of Republican Roman minis and Bolt Action miniatures plus some other bits and Green Stuff.

    https://imgur.com/gallery/0zgOY8G

    submitted by /u/Brotherbear561
    [link] [comments]

    I wish the Minutemen had their own Iconic Armor

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 03:10 PM PST

    Their base outfit is pretty bland. And I get what they were going for. After all these are farmers and settlers and the like. But still I feel like they could have done a mix where there are more seasoned members with actual uniforms with a more militaristic look while the recruits wear rags and hand me downs. Then as you improve the faction the Uniforms improve.

    Maybe a quest or two where you find unique variants. And yeah there's the generals uniform but… it's just a uniform. It's not really armor.

    I've seen outfit redesigns for them on Nexus and I've seen where there can have Minutemen style combat and power armor. But I haven't seen a redesign that gives them their own Faction armor.

    I'm talking something on par with NCR Ranger Combat Armor. Not just a literal Minuteman branded version of Riot Gear. Something like Blue revolutionary uniform meets radioactive apocalypse after spending time serving in the Cold War if that makes sense. Even just some artwork of it would be cool. And something that would make for a great cosplay. I wonder how much something like that would cost to commission.

    Are there any mods like this?

    submitted by /u/Spaced-Cowboy
    [link] [comments]

    If a Fallout game that took place before the bombs fell were to be made, what story and gameplay would you want it to have?

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:39 PM PST

    I got questions about the Fallout 1 NPCs

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 03:30 AM PST

    (With NPCs I mean companions, sorry)

    1- Can they die? (if they can, they can be revived?)

    2- How many of them are? (locations and names, please)

    3- If one of them dies, it affects the story/endings?

    Thank you for your answers :)

    submitted by /u/rgamer0618
    [link] [comments]

    Is Detroit Become Human a story about Synths?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 03:19 AM PST

    Might sound stupid

    submitted by /u/chocolatecookie45
    [link] [comments]

    Pacify/Intimidation with a raider and it's outcome

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:26 AM PST

    So I have a bit of a tricky question. What I want to know is, let's say if the SS (Nora) and Preston are in a relationship and Preston is accompanying his girlfriend around the Commonwealth. Now let's say Nora uses pacify on some random raider guy that she comes across while in the presence of Preston. Would Preston find that kinda odd that she is taking control of this man who is a raider, telling him what to do i.e ordering him around with commands such as: "Go there" or "Go" and the raider guy responds with "Yes ma'am," how exactly would Preston respond to that?

    submitted by /u/Professional_Fill489
    [link] [comments]

    [FONV]What's a good Homebase in Lonesome Road?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 02:26 AM PST

    Just found the barracks with a commissary inside, at the outside of Hopeville where the three marked men attack you. Just can't find a reloading bench.

    submitted by /u/This_Mud8879
    [link] [comments]

    I loved FNV. Should I play 3 or 4 next?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 12:02 AM PST

    I just played FNV and I absolutely loved it. Story, gameplay, atmosphere, and the DLC. Which game should I play next? I've heard good things about both? I honestly value gameplay/atmosphere most over story. If one isn't inherently better than the other, just explain the strengths and weaknesses of both. Thanks :)

    submitted by /u/PeepeeWeeweePeepee
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 4 Far Harbor Red Death Bug

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 10:10 PM PST

    So I'm at the point where I go hunt the red death. I get in the boat and choose red death island and proceed to spawn underwater. How do I fix this?

    submitted by /u/KetchupFace2528
    [link] [comments]

    Under the right leadership, surely the Institute would be the commonwealths best hope.

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 01:31 PM PST

    Obviously, in game it's presented as pure evil.

    In my opinion, the Institute are a group of really good people, under really bad leadership.

    But if you were leader of the institute, you could stop the Gen 3 synths even being made, you could treat them as humans and only produce Gen 1s and 2s. This would appease a lot of people.

    You have access to technology better than pre-war, it's the only place in any fallout game that is arguably better than places pre-war. It has the cure to the FEV virus, and could find many more cures. It has synthetic life which could be added back to the commonwealth, synthetic plants and grass, and could re-add greenery to the area.

    It also has teleportation and so could make travel between places easily and safe, and could make the transport of goods easy. It would be such a waste, to waste all of this technology, and arguably the most technologically advanced faction in any fallout game.

    Especially because you are general of the minutemen, an alliance could exist, and the sole survivor could turn the institute from an evil, kidnapping, shadow, into the shining light of the commonwealth.

    submitted by /u/CaptainJarrettYT
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about FNV - A Brave New World, part 2

    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 07:20 PM PST

    So, it's still the pandemic, I got time, and I'm playing New Vegas again, which I haven't played since high school years ago. Since then, I've gotten an education in literature, rhetoric, and writing, so what I knew back then is just not the same as it is today, meaning New Vegas is different - or at least is far more revealing. As a sort of self-indulgent writing exercise, I've decided to log my thoughts here to share with others as I play through the game, just talkin' 'bout what I think is a pretty good game. May get a bit philosophical, a little bit like Ulysses, a little like Joshua, absolutely NOT like Edward, and maybe a little like Cass. Anyway, here I do go.

    --

    FNV is in an interesting and complex creative position when it comes to its franchise - it follows the vision laid out by F1 and F2 that's inherently at odds with Bethesda's F3 and F4 vision. Even metaphorically it differs, the main metaphor being Old World Blues. Bethesda's vision of the Blues is nostalgic wonder that you could die for, while the Interplay/Obsidian vision says that the reason you die for it is because it murders you.

    Hbomberguy, the thought criminal, cleverly pointed out in a jokingly way the difference between F3's Born to Die narrative metaphor and FNV's Died to Live narrative metaphor. In F3, you die to literally purify the land in hopes of returning the world to its rightfully balanced place where it isn't irradiated (I can't believe it's not a Christ allegory!). In FNV, you get shot in the and buried in an unmarked grave for carrying an ancient artifact of the old world, only to be selected by Fate, Destiny, Obsidian, Josh Sawyer, whatever you want to call it, to rise from your grave and break the stalemate of the universe. In a way the contradiction has been reversed: F3 wants you to die for the greater life of the world, and FNV is already on the phone with Charon about rescheduling your trip down the Styx.

    If you've read literary theory, you may have come across Northrop Frye and his book The Anatomy of Criticism. His mission in it is to establish a science for literary criticism that didn't really stick, though a lot of its DNA can somewhat be found in today's conversations about Genre. As it relates to FNV's opening, I think Frye's archetypal modes of stories gives a pretty interesting view of its metaphors and how it constructs its meanings.

    Without going too deep, Frye says that every story can be categorized under 4 modes: Comedy, Romance, Tragedy, and Irony. These 4 modes then are split into 6 phases each, with each of them sharing half their phases with another. For instance, Romance and Tragedy both begin with a hero's mythic birth (in FNV's case, ironically rising from the grave). If you've read anything about the Hero's journey, this may sound familiar. Comedy and Irony, in contrast, both begin with an immersion into the story world, in this instance being New Vegas, the Mojave, and all its players.

    You can probably tell form FNV's opening that its balancing all 4 modes, and that's appropriate. Because FNV is a an RPG with cOnSeqUENTial storytelling, it can mold itself under any of the phases of any of the modes, gravitating towards certain modes depending on your chosen route. Independence for instance is very comedic in nature (if good karma) because it begins by questioning the social world around Courier 6 and proceeds to obliterate it for the birth of a brave new world, part 2.

    That brave new world analogy, which is actually said by Julie Farkas in the game in Freeside, is interesting with how it operates in Fallout. Naturally, all apocalypse media suggests a brave new world, from The Postman to Mad Max. Mad Max is particularly relevant for the quote in the second movie about Max "living off of the corpse of the old world," and The Postman is basically the goofy prototype for FNV (the novel, not the movie. Fuck the movie).

    Anyway, the point here is that with F1, we see the birth of the brave new world, and in F2 we see it grow up. F3 repeats it again because it's busy referencing its predecessors, and FNV evolves from its predecessors by saying that the brave new world is no longer brave nor new. The NCR are repeating the same mistakes as the country its replicating, and the Legion are cosplaying the Romans with a nod towards Mad Max. Meanwhile, a neoliberal billionaire has risen from the grave and plans to bring the old world back with him. FNV's world is one that's trapped in a loop of itself, a stuttering record player, and Courier 6 has to decide if they like the blues or not.

    Another element of Frye that begins developing from the opening that becomes more present as the game continues is his archetypical mythoi. As per his premise of every story having moralizing politics in it, Frye has it that every story presents 2 (kind of 2 and a half) metaphorical realms representing its morals, beliefs, preferences, ideals, etc. Frye is kind of in love with The Divine Comedy, so the structure is based on Dante's mythology. At the tope is the upper realm, the ideal place of good and orderly things, while down below is the lower demonic realm of chaos and destruction and bad stuff, according the author that is. In between is the more complicated material realm things aren't so straight forward.

    When you start the game, you know Courier 6 is going to New Vegas. It screams at you from the distance at night when looking from the Goodsprings cemetery. New Vegas is that mythic upper realm, marked by its alien, old world lights. It suggests that second brave new world (ironically built on the old old world), and its god/father figure Mr. House it surreptitiously calling out to you.

    That seems counter to what the upper realm is sounds like, and another point about the upper realm is that it is often hypocritical, lying to you, lying to itself. Vegas's lights ain't nothing but flickering taillights meant to run you off the road. House, as Vegas's representative god-king, doesn't care about your humanity, he cares about your knees, which you are currently not on right now. Courier 6 doesn't know that yet, but they can begin to suspect if you can intuit the metaphors in front of you.

    --

    I'm writing these from week to week, probably on Fridays. I don't really mid if no one reads these - I more so just want to give form to my dumb abstract thoughts. I'm actually at Novac right now, but my next entry is probably going to be on Goodsprings, Primm, and the Powder Gangers. There are some neat things going there about pro-social and anti-social beliefs going on there that I don't see remarked on often. Anyway, has anyone else though this deeply about the game, or am I a weird alien in the room?

    (Aside: On my criticisms about F3, I actually have a soft spot for it because it was my first Fallout. It was my favorite through middle school, and I still think there's something to say about its exploration, the way it's a gallery of historical ruination. That story though is meaningless, and I think that's why nowadays I can't find the heart to return to it, and I've tried.)

    submitted by /u/NukaJack
    [link] [comments]

    my thoughts on fallout 4 as of now

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 01:13 AM PST

    i think fallout 4 is cool but i love that fallout new vegas desert, also i miss the fucked up things in fallout 3 like paradise falls, kidnapping children, those children that lived in that cave, the slaves in paradise falls. in my opinion nothing tops fallout 3 NOTHING

    submitted by /u/User651286792
    [link] [comments]

    I want to introduce my girlfriend to Fallout. New Vegas or 3?

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 04:45 AM PST

    Hello everyone!

    I want to introduce my girlfriend to Fallout. I just recently told her about my passion and she told me she was interested in looking into Fallout. I would like to give one of the games to her on steam.
    Now, she has a rather crappy computer, so 4 is out the window.
    I personally first played Fallout 3, so this is what I believe was a good introduction to the franchise. But maybe some of you who first played New Vegas can tell me, whether the lore is a bit too much to get into as a first time player or if she would be fine.

    Sorry about my english. I'm not a native speaker and also this is my first post on reddit. cheers!

    submitted by /u/supppplies
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 4 has nearly 3 times as many active players than fallout 76 does.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2021 04:42 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment