• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 2, 2021

    Fallout | A modern Fallout 1 patch for Windows 10

    Fallout | A modern Fallout 1 patch for Windows 10


    A modern Fallout 1 patch for Windows 10

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 09:36 PM PST

    TL;DR: A patch to bring Fallout 1 into the modern day with Game Bar support, proper mouse ballistics, and borderless fullscreen etc.

    I tried replaying Fallout 1 recently and the experience both from the original disk or the Steam / GoG versions was very subpar. The first thing that happens on launch is a desktop resolution switch, messing up my desktop and all its windows. Alt-tabbing doesn't work, notifications are hit and miss, and exiting the game brings my computer to a crawl for 30 seconds or so while the resolution reverts back and some apps like *ahem* Windows Explorer don't survive the mode switch and crash, losing all my windows.

    I thought that there has _got_ to be some way to do this better, and after being knee-deep in old DirectX SDKs I came up with a solution: a DLL that provides a virtualized, 90s era PC to the game while actually using D3D12 to do all the work. The game thinks it has a 640x480 256 color display etc, but in reality its rendering is captured and presented via DXGI and D3D12 for a modern borderless experience that you can alt+tab from, use with Game Bar, get all your notifications, etc. - sometimes I even put Fallout on a separate desktop and use four-finger swipes on my laptop's trackpad to game a little, then go back to email / work, and keep doing this whenever I have an idle 5 or 10 minutes.

    One thing did annoy me though, and it was that the cursor in Fallout behaves "weird". I'm familiar with how my mouse moves since I use it all day on the desktop, but Fallout has a very primitive pointer mapping with no acceleration or ballistics which might be a good idea for a shooter but for a point and click game it isn't The Right Thing - so I intercepted DirectInput and manipulated the values sent to the game so that the mouse moves in-game just as it would out-of-game, same acceleration curve and everything. This is subtle but it makes for a huge difference - zero mental friction when I go into and out of the game. YMMV, but it's my favorite feature in all this.

    Keep in mind that this is a very early build and I only tried it on two machines. There are some known issues:

    - Multiple monitors might not work - I'm away from my desk so I can't test this

    - Mouse cursor sometimes goes out of sync - move the mouse to a screen corner then back to fix. Will be patched soon

    - Does not work on Intel cards, they have a driver bug and I've tried to inform them with no luck whatsoever

    To try this patch, get this modified DirectDraw DLL and place it right next to `falloutw.exe`, then launch the game. This does not currently work with the high-resolution patch. Let me know if you have any issues and I'll do my best to fix them.

    submitted by /u/SheriefFarouk
    [link] [comments]

    I have played a lot of fallout 4 but have never made my own player home so here! It is at Red Rocket

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 04:07 PM PST

    Who would wake the sole survivor and others in cryo?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 09:10 PM PST

    Just wondering, if Kellogg didn't do what he did (to avoid spoilers), how would the vault dwellers be? Would they have woken up according to a timer?

    just a curious fo4 player and fairly new to the game

    submitted by /u/SmellyBolster3331
    [link] [comments]

    Did Hiroshima and Nagasaki happen in the FO universe? If so is there any mention of japanese ghouls or something like that

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 05:00 AM PST

    The FO universe splits off from our universe in somewhere between 1950 to 1960 and the fatman is named after that bomb so that means it happened but there are no mention of japanese ghouls. Is there an explanation?

    Edit : ok i get it they mentioned it in the intro but still no mention of ghouls pre war and also this blew up way more than i expected and all of the people here commented real and valid answers thank you all

    submitted by /u/COLDCYAN10
    [link] [comments]

    I have played Fallout 3 many a time. Tomorrow I will embark upon a new run on my PS3, I am aware it is supposed to be horrendous on PS3, so any tips would be appreciated. This time I want to play a strong emphasis on unmarked quests - any pointers at all will be greatly appreciated fellow Dwellers

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 07:05 PM PST

    Fallout 1 has no business being this fun in 2021

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:01 AM PST

    I just wanna geek out a little. I saw the original Fallout games on sale so I indulged a little. Bruh why am I getting clapped by rats so badly? I'm loving it. It took me a solid two hours to get the combat mechanics down. Everything, including how to do basic things like using a stimpak is an adventure & I haven't felt this immersed in a game since I first played Oblivion in 7th grade. I found a town & this guy Ian kindly agreed to follow me even though I'm dirt poor. My pistol blew up in my hand after one shot & now I gotta clear some Radscorpions with my brass knucks. I saw Ian running away & I thought "damn, did Ian bait me??" No he was hauling ass while screaming retreat & I got janked by two scorpions. I dig it, and I appreciate the fixt patch too. I'm gonna go see if I can stim Ian and try again lol

    submitted by /u/preme_engineer
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think Shady Sands (NCR's capital city) would look like during the time of Fallout 3, New Vegas, and 4?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 02:16 PM PST

    Think of how developed it would be. If you're confused, the time of all three games gives the years 2277 to 2287.

    submitted by /u/Lavetic
    [link] [comments]

    How/why can Mr. Burke get the drop on the sheriff?

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 03:00 AM PST

    He's got one of the worst weapons in the game and pulls it off like nothing. Does he have perks or something insane? He isn't carrying psycho

    submitted by /u/eliteprephistory
    [link] [comments]

    It’s kind of stupid that there isn’t a suppressor mod for the laser rifle, since light energy is silent.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 07:05 PM PST

    I understand that the power required to fire a weaponized light beam might make sound, but in general, you can't hear a laser, even a supremely powerful one, because it fires light. It should at least have a silencer mod.

    submitted by /u/Liightman
    [link] [comments]

    An idea for the next fallout game: Let us use junk items.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 07:25 AM PST

    For the most part, junk items in Fallout 4 had no purpose other than scrapping them for resources, displaying them in your settlements, or selling them. I think allowing you to use them would give the world a lot more realism and interactivity. After all, you are scavenging in a nuclear wasteland. Why not use whatever you find laying around?

    Here are some examples I cooked up using some of Fallout 4's junk items:

    • CIGARETTES/CIGARS - If you have a lighter and a cigarette/cigar in your inventory, you can take a smoke break. This temporarily gives you +1 to Perception and Charisma, but -1 to Endurance. It also allows you to see invisible enemies more easily(not to the point of trivializing them, however). If you smoke too often, you will get an addiction which will give -1 to Intelligence and Agility.
    • EXTINGUISHER - Equipping the extinguisher will allow you to use it as a weapon. You can spray foam, which puts out fires and slows down enemies. You can also bash with this weapon, which does an okay amount of damage. Holding down the bash button lets you throw the extinguisher like a grenade, which deals minor damage and stuns all enemies in a radius.
    • HANDCUFFS - You can equip the handcuffs in your arm section. This removes the ability to do anything that requires your hands(opening doors, using weapons, crafting at a workbench, ETC). Mostly for shits and giggles. However, you can put handcuffs on an enemy if you sneak up on them, which could give you an advantage.
    • LIGHTERS - Equipping a lighter will let you use it to set enemies on fire. You can also throw lighters to set enemies on fire from a distance, or to set flammable things ablaze(like oil, gas, mines, ETC).
    • MILITARY AMMO BAG - This one never made sense to me. Why can't you put ammo in a literal ammo bag? Maybe you could also have it appear on your character model if equipped.
    • HOT PLATE - This allows you to cook a piece of meat or boil some dirty water when you are away from your workbench. You can only do this so many times before it loses power, however, and it doesn't allow you to create complex recipes. When it runs out of power, you can sacrifice a few fusion cells to get it running again.
    • WATCHES - Equipping a watch is not only stylish, but it also allows you to see the time...which you can already do in your Pip-Boy. Mostly for cosmetics, but the Gold-plated versions do give you 1 Charisma when equipped.
    • ABRAXO CLEANER - When near a water source, Abraxo Cleaner allows you to turn any "dirty" item of clothing into a clean version. The Abraxo Cleaner is consumed in the process.
    • CAUTERIZER - The cauterizer can be used on yourself to stop bleed damage. It can also be used on enemies to inflict a small amount of burn damage.
    • SWEEPER - The sweeper can be used as a melee weapon with a long reach, low damage, and medium attack speed. It can also be used to clean the blood off the floor.
    • RECORDER - The recorder can be used to record up to 10 minutes of video(must be in first-person mode for this to work)in-game. After you have recorded the video, you can hook the recorder up to a TV in your settlement and have that video play repeatedly on the TV screen.
    • COMFY/STRAW PILLOW - If the Comfy/Straw Pillow is placed on a bed, it will allow you to sleep longer on the bed in Survival mode. Comfy pillows are more effective than straw pillows. Both can also be used as a melee "weapon" but they will stagger whatever they hit without doing any actual damage. Friendly NPCs will not be aggroed by this "weapon", but they will be pretty annoyed.
    • CAMERA - The Camera allows you to zoom in and out, and take pictures of whatever you want. You can then display those pictures in frames in your settlements.
    • BLOWTORCH/BUNSEN BURNER - Works like the lighter, in that you can burn enemies with it or throw it to light stuff on fire. More powerful than the lighter, however.
    • CLOTHING IRON - You can hold it out in front of you and it will deal constant minor burn damage.
    • MEDICAL LIQUID NITROGEN DISPENSER - You can use this on yourself to remove burn damage or spray it on an enemy to slow them down and deal minor cryo damage. You can also throw it and it will act as a weaker cryo grenade that explodes on impact.
    • WRENCHES/HAMMERS - Can be used as melee weapons with a short reach, but high attack speed.
    • OVEN MITT - Can be equipped on the arm section. Mostly for cosmetics.
    • WEIGHTS/BARBELLS - Can be used as melee weapons. The higher the weight, the slower the swing speed, but the higher the damage.
    submitted by /u/DapperWrap95
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 11:06 PM PST

    I'm new to the fallout series and currently have a PS3, so I'm trying to figure out whether to play Fallout 3 or New Vegas first. What do you guys think?

    submitted by /u/Eldritchcow
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 4 on the ps5 is broken, anyway to fix this?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:11 PM PST

    So basically, my brother is playing fallout from the beginning, intro works perfectly, but once it goes the game where OC says, "War, war never changes" no audio plays and speech doesn't play either, but when you pause it does play, and my brother cannot go pass the tutorial, anyone know why this is the case or anyway to fix this?

    submitted by /u/Link60255
    [link] [comments]

    Questions about settlements in fallout 76

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 07:52 PM PST

    So I just started playing fallout 76 again and I got curious about the additional workshops around the map. I have two questions about them, are they worth conquering and what does the list of resources mean when you hover on the fast travel point

    submitted by /u/Simion-da-fish
    [link] [comments]

    How do YOU think the main quest would go if you could do the main quest with nuka world raiders?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 02:17 PM PST

    I personally think that rather than explode the institute at the end, you would raid the institute with busting in the same way you do as the minutemen, and end up using it as a base of operations to teleport Raiders to any settlement, and even kidnap people to use as slaves, and there would be a few people from the institute who would be enslaved who would have been forced to operate certain things, such as hydroponics. It would end with you either enslaving (false) Shaun or letting Shaun be your successor.

    submitted by /u/Eggs_are_tasty
    [link] [comments]

    cant play fallout4=((

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 03:17 AM PST

    hello everybody i'm a newbie , can anyone helped me to play FO4 in my super+low+weak laptopp=(((((( , i have spend at least 1 week to fully download the game and then cant play=(( pls guided me, (anything : mods,computer set....) and i dont have video card 'sad''=(( and core i3-2370M 2.4ghz + 6gram.

    submitted by /u/ScarPuzzleheaded3235
    [link] [comments]

    Perks You Would Have IRL?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:32 PM PST

    Exactly as it says on the tin. ;)

    I'm dead sure I have Light Step, and maybe Silent Running. For Light Step, I've had a history of not getting tripped, not stepping on rubble or dog crap, etc. Even in winter, I've had plenty of times my foot would skid (and I'd have a mini heart attack), but not actually slip or fall. As for Silent Running, I walk strangely quiet for some reason, even in heavier boots. Some people have even been startled that I walked up on them so silently, without realizing I was.

    submitted by /u/PlazVix
    [link] [comments]

    fallout 4 modern combat/military mods

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 06:56 PM PST

    i'm looking for mods that make the wasteland in fallout 4 more like a modern battlefield specifically that overhaul the raiders into some sort of modern fighting force whether terrorists pmcs or anything else does anyone have ideas on mods that could help me or any modern mod suggestions they like

    submitted by /u/blake176
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 1 Finding Master

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 02:27 AM PST

    So I've decided to replay fallout 1 after almost 10 years and I just got to the cathedral Couse I remember that's where the master is but...

    How was I actually supposed to know that? As in what is the intended in game way of finding out that you're supposed to shoot out the cathedral and look for a hidden door in the basement?

    submitted by /u/Stubbs3470
    [link] [comments]

    Why did China and The USA have a war on the Moon?

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 10:23 AM PST

    In Concord inside the Museum of Freedom you see banners, a memorial, and painted on a wall you see stuff depicting and saying that the USA fought China on the Moon.

    submitted by /u/RobedEar3031983
    [link] [comments]

    I started replaying FO4 on the XBSX with the 60 FPS mod and it’s amazing!! I’m not a computer guy so I’ve only played it on console. Wow!! That’s all I can say. No frame rate drops, fast load times, colors, etc! It’s like a new game.

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 08:05 AM PST

    Fallout 4 FOV PS4

    Posted: 02 Jan 2021 01:07 AM PST

    Is there any mod that can change fov on ps4 version of the game?

    submitted by /u/Bitwa1410
    [link] [comments]

    A question in regards to my low intelligence character in Fallout 1's Mariposa Base

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 05:22 PM PST

    SPOILERS I was replaying the game and i came across the Lt. at Mariposa base right? So i used chems to defeat him and now i lost intelligence, and i can't activate the self destruction sequence, is there any way to do it? Thanks (sorry for my bad english)

    submitted by /u/Catch-a-rideMaster
    [link] [comments]

    What are the best weapons in FO4? DLC included

    Posted: 01 Jan 2021 12:18 PM PST

    Just bought the GOTY edition of FO4 for Christmas. I haven't played the game since it came out and I'm a little rusty. If anyone has opinions about the best weapons, and possibly where to find them it would help tremendously.

    Thank you all

    submitted by /u/I_am_Yohan
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment