• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 8, 2020

    Fallout | Fallout NV still holds up in 2020

    Fallout | Fallout NV still holds up in 2020


    Fallout NV still holds up in 2020

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 10:14 PM PDT

    First time playing Fallout 4. Beat the whole game + DLCs on Survival. Took 419 hours of play with 126 hours lost due to Survival deaths. Some thoughts below.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 01:54 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/BKJNd58.png

    I decided when I started my first run over a year ago I wanted the "real" Fallout experience, and this first run through the game would be all survival. My Steam run time is 419 hours of play, with my save file recording a time of 12D 5H and 16m (293 hours). 419 Minus 293 = 126 hours lost due to non-save (mostly from dying). This was by no means a speed run, I truly tried to do everything possible that I could before beating the final story quest. It was a once in a lifetime play through; you can't play a game for the first time twice but if your thinking about doing a full survival run, I'd like to share my thoughts about it.

    -A lot of your time is spent walking from point A to point B. I spent an obscene amount of time walking around in this game. This is basically the crux of what makes the early part of this game exciting, but the later parts of the game boring.

    -It's exciting because early on you have to make you way through the ruins of Boston, with no idea what is around the next corner in a highly lethal environment. Ducking into an abandoned building to avoid a patrol headed your way; crouching and hoping they walk right by without noticing. Moving through the city by running from piece of cover to piece of cover. Waking up on a dirty mattress in South Boston after getting shot, dehydrated and with an infection, and you still have a ways to go to get to the safety of a settlement. Getting into a firefight where your objective isn't to win, but find a way to escape. It was very easy for me to die in almost any fight up until I hit the mid-60s low-70s Level range. After that deaths are still likely, but only really from the tougher enemies. Retreating from areas and fights was common. Not having played the game I simply had no idea what I was walking into; I didn't know what was in front of me, but I did know what was behind me.

    -After you hit levels in the 90s it gets tough for the enemies to kill you. Not because you can take a lot of hits (you can still die quickly from the right attacks) but because you do so much damage. It gets boring late game because there are basically no enemies and you know every environment. I could find about a dozen or so places where enemies would always spawn 100% of the time I would show up, but for the most part the Commonwealth was just empty. A lot of the late game is just you ambling around slowly in power armor through empty streets. Your only real way to fast travel is by Vertibird or CIT transporter, so if I did it again I would race to get the Brotherhood into the Commonwealth ASAP. Nothing was as bad as being asked to help defend a settlement that was as much as 20 minutes out of your way IRL.

    -The settlements really did feel like home. You have a doctor, a good place to sleep, a place to store and sell things, clean water, a crop that's been coming in good lately. Nothing beat seeing the skyline of the settlement on the horizon, as the sun sets on another long day in the Commonwealth knowing that I could save soon and the stress of losing the days progress evaporates. I tried to build a little at each settlement, but what happens is a few at the most strategic locations flourish into big bases, its just too much walking to try and maintain every settlement. Building always took place in the evening, you get back to base maybe around 5pm-7pm, its still too early to realistically go to bed, so you build and decorate, waiting for the time to pass. Plus you can't build in the morning, or you could die and lose your progress, all your building has to be done before bedtime.

    -I almost never used power amour. Ammo, including fusion cores has weight, a lot of weight. Going around in armor is just too slow, your walking everywhere, with power armor you just do it even slower. You can "caddie" power armor, by having your follower wear it (this won't deplete cores). I only really used it when I could tell a big fight was coming up.

    -I lost a few things to glitches and bugs; you can't bring them back because the command console doesn't work in survival. For example I just lost McCready, like he just disappeared and I never found him again, despite searching all my settlements and where I first recruited him. Rarely, I would get stuck in a pile of rubble and couldn't get out. I would have to load my game and lose all the progress from my last save.

    Overall it was a lot of fun, but also required a tremendous amount of patience. I'm going to play it all again, just not on survival mode this time.

    submitted by /u/SkullysBones
    [link] [comments]

    Why is everyone helpless in Fallout 4? I need to rant, please bear with me.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:21 PM PDT

    Every humanoid npc in this game is completely unable to do anything for themselves.

    How do they function? The player has to dictate everything from Deathclaw attacks to what goddamn bed they sleep in.

    "Ooh kind stranger I just met you but, can you go kill some Raiders, avenge my daughter, come back and build me a fucking house and community, fix the commonwealths economy, and ooh don't even think about killing me because God Howard made me essential because fuck you go save all of our worthless lives. And enjoy the settlement building you fucking fuck."

    I hate every npc in this game besides the companions. Thank god for Nuka World.

    submitted by /u/Samurai_IX
    [link] [comments]

    Roger Maxon would be ashamed of what the Brotherhood has become.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:20 PM PDT

    Don't get me wrong I love the brotherhood they are my favorite after the NCR, but he wanted the Brotherhood to be guardians of civilizations secrets and to work closely with those in the wasteland. He never wanted them to be gatekeepers and to hoard technology. Unfortunately he was a minority in the BoS the majority wanted to remain isolated. They respected his wishes until he died at which point his son made the BoS into the isolated military order they are now. Roger advocated for outside recruitment, sharing advanced technology and secrets with the wasteland(this being a lower priority to gathering said secrets but still), and rebuilding the wasteland. All things the BoS are against all they care about are power and hoarding. They have become elitist, entitled, selfish, and power hungry. This will prevent them from ever achieving their original goal of rebuilding civilization. Roger would be ashamed of his order, his family, and his legacy. As it has become as corrupt as the government he denounced at Mariposa.

    My source for this info was the fallout wiki, I just wanted to see how others would feel about this. This little essay is a tad dramatic but I want to see what others think.

    submitted by /u/Tuskedcargo
    [link] [comments]

    An educated guess on NCR presence in the Mojave

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 11:40 PM PDT

    There are three NCR commanders in the Mojave with (confirmed) direct control over a large force of troops.

    Col / Brigadier Moore (Hoover Dam Force)
    Col Hsu (McCarran HQ Force)
    Col Royez (Long 15 Garrison)

    Oliver outranks them but due to the strange configuration of his command (two Colonels and a Brigadier?) his rank isn't a reliable way to guess on the amount of NCR troops in the Mojave. Instead one can make a better guess from the ranks of his subordinates. It's generally accepted (a.k.a. Wikipedia says) that:

    Colonels tend to command regiments, or similar forces of around 1000 soldiers.\1])
    Brigadiers (namely) command brigades, which consist of 3,200-5,500 troops.\2])

    Given all that was just listed, the NCR most likely has 2 regiments and 1 brigade in the Mojave, for a total of about 5,000-7,500 active troops across the Mojave. This is a small enough number to make sense that NCR is having overstretch issues, but big enough for the NCR to still be able to exert its presence and contest Legion advances.

    Two issues that my guess could have:
    1. Hanlon commands a large enough force of at Camp Golf to throw off my guess.
    2. Moore was given an empty promotion for morale and doesn't actually have the numbers to compose a brigade (though I doubt it, as it's stated by multiple characters in New Vegas that more NCR troops flood into the region every day)

    My most wild range of guessing would be 3,000-8,500 troops, but I feel somewhat confident that it lies somewhere between 5,000-7,500.

    submitted by /u/Cynic_Nerd
    [link] [comments]

    Would have been cool if Dogmeat (Fallout 4) was a ghoul dog. Could have had more people during the story mention things that he has done in the past.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:41 AM PDT

    That is all.

    submitted by /u/emmitgo
    [link] [comments]

    I've been really wanting to play Fallout 3 again. I've never finished it when it first launched. But since we've lost our house from a fire, I don't have a pc anymore. I'm just gonna watch someone else play it. Any recommendations on a blind playthrough on YouTube?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:09 PM PDT

    Can you guys recommend any fun blind playthrough? it doesn't have to complete serious hardcore playthrough but not too silly as well. Would be great if it's a funny stream. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/Alecman3000
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think each game did the best.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 09:27 AM PDT

    In my opinion:

    Fallout 1: The feeling of an unstoppable approaching threat.

    Fallout 2: The antagonist faction (the Enclave).

    Fallout 3: Post apocalyptic feel.

    Fallout New Vegas: Civilization.

    Fallout 4: Customization and upgrades.

    Fallout 76: Map design.

    submitted by /u/zetabyte27
    [link] [comments]

    Moving from Fallout 4 to New Vegas

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:02 AM PDT

    I've played Fallout 4 a billion times but I've heard that NV is actually the bee's knees so I decided to go to steam and buy it. What's different? I'm going in almost blind, anything I should know?

    (I haven't played any other Fallout games)

    submitted by /u/DaSweetrollThief
    [link] [comments]

    Fanatical has FO3 and FNV on offer. I haven't played either, but only really have time for one. Which should I choose?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 01:31 AM PDT

    A personal thanking for someone because I lost my mic.

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 07:22 PM PDT

    There is a user on Fallout 76 I just played an even of the federal supplies at Morgantown airport. Who decided to give me any aesthetic pieces and supplies. Their words to me were to do the same as I reach up to their level 151. I just wanted to thank them and spread their positivity towards those at lower levels in the game!

    submitted by /u/wellitsokole1304
    [link] [comments]

    What is the best faction in fallout 4?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    Fallout New Vegas as My First Fallout Game - Bad Idea?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    Heard a lot about Fallout, spent time reading people's opinions on where to start, decided on New Vegas, spent a few hours on it and it still feels like a struggle to comprehend to a sufficient (OCD?) level to feel in control.

    My issues with NV is that there is no clear explanation/tutorial/guidance of:

    • SPECIAL, skill, tags, perks
    • crafting (food, weapon, ammo, energy)
    • inventory management (so much can be picked yet I don't know what/how/where to do with it)

    Am I doing it wrong? Should I stick it out with NV, or start elsewhere like Fallout 3 or 4?

    My understanding of the relative advantages of these games so far:

    • Fallout 3: better intro; poorer graphics and story
    • Fallout NV: better story; poorer intro and graphics
    • Fallout 4: better graphics and gameplay; poorer story and less inclination to "go back" to earlier games

    Any thoughts appreciated.

    *Edit:*Background: I have immensely enjoyed games like the Deus Ex and Mass Effect series where I did not feel overwhelmed.

    submitted by /u/islayMalter
    [link] [comments]

    Sgt. Granite and his potential

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 12:34 AM PDT

    Spoilers ahead for Fallout 2.

    So apparently, if you managed to convince him to fight against Frank Horrigan, and he survives.

    According the Fallout Bible, which has now basically became.. Semi-Canon/Non-Canon.

    "He [Granite] and the EC crew hopped aboard the tanker, and escaped to the mainland after watching the fireworks from the top of the tanker, whispering "gawd-damn" to themselves and throwing suggestive glances at the women from Vault 13 and Arroyo. After reaching the mainland, they headed north to Navarro and were never heard from again, though their adventures could fill several eras worth of pulp comics."

    Despite the fact that Bethesda seems to.. despise previous lore and always seems to retcon it. Despite it basically making stuff make even LESS sense.

    xough X-01 cough

    I would.. honestly really like to see the adventures of Granite and his crew. If only just for an episode for that.. new Fallout TV series that's gonna come out.

    It would be fun to see a crew of Powered Armor Indviduals try to find their place in the wasteland. It also seems that Granite didn't fully believe in the cause of the Enclave. I wonder, what was he really thinking?

    Could be potential.. if Bethesda actually acknowledges something like this.

    submitted by /u/Laati-Chan
    [link] [comments]

    Modding too finicky in New Vegas?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:01 AM PDT

    So obviously for the longest time i had heard about how incredible new vegas was and I decided a while back that I'd give it, and the modding, a shot. Now previously I had done skyrim modding so had some idea about modding, but wasnt like i was some crazy modder know-it-all.

    Anyways, I found modding NV to be an extremely annoying process, from the enb's to the regular mods themselves. One mod would break something, or one mod wouldnt work without another mod, which would inevitably break 3 other mods... and so on and so forth. And even when I finally got a working modded setup, the game would just run like trash in a handful of areas. I have a 2060, i7-4770 and 16gb ram. Obviously I am aware of the nortious fact that this game is very buggy and unopt9imized, even for a bethesda game.

    Basically i just want to know if i should give it another shot or if the time spent trying to get crucial mods to work are just not worth it - I also own fo4 but that game literally runs like complete ass in urban areas even though my usage is at like 60% on gpu and cpu

    submitted by /u/Jimmyban
    [link] [comments]

    Should I try to play 2D Fallouts again or is watching a playthrough enough?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 04:00 AM PDT

    Basically, I played all other Fallouts other than FO1 and FO2 and they are way before my time (I was a baby when FO1 came out).

    I tried to play them both and it wasn't particularly hard (I read a shit-ton of guides and such on how to play them to have it the easiest way possible) but it was extremely... boring. Basically I was bored out of my mind with traveling and combat, and I don't know. I don't play games to snooze in my chair (I chalk it up to growing up on 3D games. Early Fallouts are the only 2D games I've ever tried to play).

    Yet I know that there are great stories in those games and I'd love to know more about it all as I'm super interested in Fallout lore. I'm thinking that maybe they'd get less boring once I used to them? Or if I don't like how they are from the beginning then I probably won't enjoy them at all?

    If so, are there any youtubers that do a conscience playthroughs of both of them? Y'know not a 50 hour playlist, but just a basic playthrough that's engaging to watch?

    submitted by /u/catfishedagirl
    [link] [comments]

    President Eden, for Quakecon

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 12:34 PM PDT

    Fallout 4 - Does this game still run like crap?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 03:53 AM PDT

    I bought fallout 4 a few months after launch and pretty quickly figured out it was an unoptimized mess that has major fps drops despite using being very low.

    I have a 2060, i7-4770, 16gb of ram and can instlal the game on an SSD. I remember the game dropping frames in the city areas and in diamond city despite again my usage of the gpu and cpu barely reaching 60%.

    Would anyone suggest i give it another go/Have things been fixed a bit now?? I am aware of the "turn down the shadows" 'fix' but given doing that makes the fairly meh looking game look like dog shit, I'd rather not.

    submitted by /u/Jimmyban
    [link] [comments]

    Can anyone help me track down a high quality version of this Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel artwork?

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 04:44 PM PDT

    https://i.imgur.com/CnRwVJL.png

    It seems to be an older version of the final cover. I hope this community can help me out.

    submitted by /u/Macy64x
    [link] [comments]

    19 hours to download fallout 76?????

    Posted: 07 Aug 2020 06:46 PM PDT

    Downloading this game was never an issue before now. I can barely get above 3 mb/s and I have great internet and a good computer. Any fix?

    submitted by /u/Drugar_1453
    [link] [comments]

    FO76 NW tried and failed to team up with a random guy

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 01:44 AM PDT

    So I was playing fallout 76 nuclear winter yesterday and got all loot crates around at the beginning when I noticed another player who just spawned and was too late. I just opened fire as soon as I noticed him. He didnt got any armor or weapons so instead of killing him I wanted to try something else...

    I stored my gun and tried to use as many emotions as possible with intention to give him some of my stuff. Maybe not the brightest idea but I was just curious what would happen. Would we team up or something? Sadly it didnt work out...

    After our contact he ran into the forest and I chased him still sending emotions instead of shooting. In the end he stopped and I was preparing to drop some loot and even managed to drop a chem when he started to attack with his fists. After I jumped away he still was attacking me and punched me hard. In the end I decided to take my gun, jumped again and started to shoot randomly. Guess he thought I was out of bullets haha. He ran for his life and I decided to head the other direction and gave him a chance to find a lootbox...

    submitted by /u/TheBeheadecOrc
    [link] [comments]

    What's the best random legendary item you ever picked up? [Fallout 4]

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 01:24 AM PDT

    I've been replaying Fallout 4 recently, and I'd forgotten how interesting some of the legendary item effects can be. But I found an explosive combat shotgun and this thing is the best thing ever. It chews through so many enemies like they're nothing.

    What have been some really good weapon and effect combinations you found or the very least which one did get the most use out of?

    submitted by /u/TJ-45
    [link] [comments]

    [Fallout4] Can you change key bindings?

    Posted: 08 Aug 2020 01:17 AM PDT

    So I'm pretty new the the PC gaming world as I just built my PC three weeks ago. Saw Fallout 4 on sale and had to grab it.

    It's definitely very strange playing with Keyboard and Mouse when I have used a controller forever. Thing is the default key bindings seem a bit weird. Is there a way to change em? If so what would be a recommended setup?

    submitted by /u/AstralSaiyn
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment