• Breaking News

    Friday, January 10, 2020

    Fallout: New Vegas | Got my big iron ready at Forlorn Hope Spring for this here NCR Veteran Ranger cosplay. I hope you like it!

    Fallout: New Vegas | Got my big iron ready at Forlorn Hope Spring for this here NCR Veteran Ranger cosplay. I hope you like it!


    Got my big iron ready at Forlorn Hope Spring for this here NCR Veteran Ranger cosplay. I hope you like it!

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 06:45 AM PST

    I made Butch from Fallout 3 as my courier. You gotta admit that's pretty accurate

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 03:49 PM PST

    Old World Blues Bad, Dead Money Good

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 10:01 AM PST

    I guess this is my little hot take post, I'm just curious if anyone agrees with me.

    So most players seem to despise Dead Money and adore OWB. I've always felt the exact opposite. Well, I guess not quite the opposite, I more so like Dead Money but have some issues with it and despise OWB. Let me explain:

    The biggest pro people hold up when discussing OWB is the writing and personality. I have two issues with this. First, am I the only one who finds the Think Tank regular irritating instead of charmingly irritating? It's not that they're not funny, it's that somehow I find them funny but also incredibly boring and irritating. I'm not someone who skips dialogue much in games as dialogue and speech checks tend to be my favorite parts but I don't think I've ever managed to listen to a single line from any of the Think Tank without skipping ahead to the next one. I hate starting OWB because I dread the 10+ minutes at the beginning where you're forced to listen to them blather on. As for my second issue, the radically different world of this DLC has never sat right with my from a tonal standpoint. I understand that it's trying to be wacky and fun in contrast to the base game and other DLCs, but I feel it tilted too far in the opposite direction. I don't mean to be all "muh immersion" but New Vegas is so tonally consistent and has such a survivalist and realist undertone to its world that OWB feels like, well, exactly what it is: a DLC designed to feel different, which works in isolation but when you put it into the base game you either have to accept that the courier alternates between a barren harsh land of people struggling to carve out a better world and a weird wacky science crater (of science!) or, in an effort to maintain the tone, you have to play the DLC and never return and file it away as that one weird dreamlike adventure your character had. Yes it could be argued that this contrast serves the theme of the DLC, but I guess it just doesn't work for me.

    Still, I will cede that OWB does have a strong unique personality that is leaves an impression. Unfortunately little of this personality transfers into the world the DLC adds. I find exploring the Big MT less appealing than any other area in the game because it's shockingly lifeless; the only draw to it is the good loot. You know that weird moment at the end of Honest Hearts where (when you destroy the white legs) you trek across the whole of Zion to their camp with Joshua Graham and kill maybe a total 6 white legs in complete silence? That's how the entirety of the Big MT is to explore. Maybe this only grates on me because I tend to be obsessively completionist and feel the need to go everywhere every time, but I can't be alone in feeling this way.

    By contrast, Dead Money is perhaps the best DLC in both writing and gameplay. Yes, I know, that's a big statement to make and I completely understand why its gameplay can be such a turn off. However I see DM as doing exactly what OWB tried (at the core) to do but succeeding: it's a DLC designed to feel different that also perfectly fits into the tone and world of the base game (even though DM's tone is different that FNVs). To me, DM took FNV's rough shooting mechanics and did the most interesting thing it could with them: minimize them in favor of what this game does so much better than most, skill checks. FNV is a game that already blows most other games out of the water with the amount of ways your non-speech skills can be used in dialogue and quests, and DM doubles down on that and expands on what is possible within that system (remember when they tricked us by making a barter check kill Dean Domino? I was amazed to realize that they had subverted the "skill check = win" philosophy of the rest of the game). Also, if the Ghost People's zero perception hadn't glitched to become infinite perception I wager that the stealth focused survival horror combat would have been something people liked too (I did enjoy it as is, but I understand why you might not). Furthermore, the explosive collar radio beeping nightmare was actually something I really enjoyed because that gameplay mechanic found a way to challenge our (likely overpowered) characters that was far more interesting than just stronger enemies (hey Tunnelers).

    The other major complaint I see leveled at DM is its linearity. DM is also, often even by its detractors, considered tremendously well written with deep characters and strong thematic wholeness (a post on this subreddit just the other day praised it for how in the good ending every character's arc represented letting go). I would argue that the DLC's strong story and linearity are related qualities. A major issue with storytelling in open world games is that the player character can take as long as they want to complete a quest, which drains all the tension from a storyline (see the criticisms of Fallout 3 and 4 for giving us non-optional main quests that make doing random side quests feel out of character for a close to home example). DM's linearity allows us to remain focused on the characters and events of the story while allowing for greater variety in outcomes. I get that possibly the biggest draw of Fallout can be the exploration, but I found Dead Money to be a nice focused complement to the open world gameplay we already had.

    I guess in short, I like replaying Dead Money and I don't like replaying Old World Blues. Thanks for reading my essay.

    submitted by /u/Fraidy-Cat5
    [link] [comments]

    What do you think should be done with the Think Tank?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 06:35 AM PST

    I see many people sparing them, having them work for you in a way, i do that myself in some runs, but from a safety perspective, why wouldn`t you just murder them?

    In a way, i can understand feeling sorry for them, they lost sense of history, what it is to be human, they live in their own little world, and they are rather fun to talk to.

    But if we are being honest, for the wasteland, killing them is clearly the best action, look past their silly personalities, andthe Think Tank is extremely dangerous, in a bad ending, that much becomes clear, they completely wreck the Mojave.

    Also, think about their past "experiments", Sierra Madre, Cazadores, nightstalkers, lobotomites, and so on, its not a pretty picture.

    Sure, you can get them to "work for you", but what happens when the Courier dies? You think they will restrain themselves? I very much doubt it.

    Conclusion, whatever progress they can offer humanity is most certainly not worth it.

    submitted by /u/_morten_
    [link] [comments]

    Employee of the Month

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:24 PM PST

    Sound familiar to anyone?

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 10:52 AM PST

    Has anybody else seen this? (enemy blip at HELIOS One)

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 08:21 PM PST

    I attempted to draw the start screen boi

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:13 PM PST

    game corrupted or something while modding i dont know where else to post this

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 07:53 AM PST

    so i was just modding fallout new vegas with random mods not many i just got like 30 plugins for random texture mods and other ease of comfort mods but when i ran NVSE the game didnt start and it says im missing libogg.dll and libvorbisfile.dll i found these dll's and put them in my steam directory but it still wont work maybe im just being a retard but i could really use some help

    submitted by /u/AppropriateOrdinary
    [link] [comments]

    Gravity is working in curios ways here in BigMT, it doesn't apply to everyone.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 05:16 PM PST

    I'd like my beret back, please.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 01:40 PM PST

    My first time playing, and thoughts so far (part 1)

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 08:54 PM PST

    I started to play this recently, and have about four hours locked in so far. My thoughts on the game so far

    1. The Legion is a set of total bastards
    2. The NCR isn't perfect, but they seem like the least worst option so far
    3. The citizens of Novac love me way too easily just for cleaning out that facilty
    4. I don't mind the leveling, but I wish perks were every level and not every other level
    5. I have spent so much time wandering around trying to get to Benny and getting distracted all the time when I do find him, I don't even know if it will be worth dealing with him or just leaving him alone

    Those are my thoughts so far, and I will update my new opinions and thoughts on what is going on with each session I make on these games

    submitted by /u/morgankingsley
    [link] [comments]

    What does Ulysses exactly say regarding your faction if you are Independent?

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 11:10 AM PST

    I mean i am curious of the exact dialogues.

    submitted by /u/misie201
    [link] [comments]

    Help needed

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 12:09 PM PST

    I recently upgraded to a windows 10 laptop and, when I try to run Fallout it runs insanely slowly. Can anyone help me fix it?

    Probably relevant info: I have an Intel I5 processor and Nvidia 1660 and have 8gb of memory, idk how much ram

    submitted by /u/PyroPupbro
    [link] [comments]

    (CBAC) Community Builds A Character

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 07:23 PM PST

    I don't know if this will be accepted or enjoyed amongst this community or if there is fear it will overrun the usual thread but I have decided today to embark on a new character and would love some help building a unique run. Just for background, I think I have somewhere around 900-1300hrs in the game, across various platforms, over 10 years, w/wo mods.

    I've started with a female character (Xbox One S Ultimate Edition) named appropriately for her toughness and defiance against all odds, Betty White! But in the harsh Mojave Wasteland, our Betty White is a whole different beast working to deliver whatever packages await.

    I'm planning a Cowboy/Vaquero build with fancy hats, revolving and lever action guns, shotguns and critical builds, light armor, smooth talking, somewhat morally corrupt, and possibly a damn good gambler. I'm currently Level 3, still neutral with everyone, only perks are black widow, WW, and built to destroy. Playing on hardcore mode, and potentially looking to hop into a dlc very soon(I'm thinking Lonesome Road).

    If you would like to suggest perks, skill tree routes, particular quest and end game paths, clothing and weapon options, and or challenges and unique methods please feel free. I like it when someone else gives me a path instead of just always picking the good guy option and buying all the weapons.

    submitted by /u/tokeo_spliff
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment