• Breaking News

    Saturday, November 14, 2020

    Fallout | Military bases are under utilized in this series.

    Fallout | Military bases are under utilized in this series.


    Military bases are under utilized in this series.

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 10:34 AM PST

    Okay, so there are plenty of abandoned military outposts, bunkers, and checkpoints in this series. You'll see destroyed convoys and such as well. And, obviously, the major military bases have been destroyed during the Great War and looted in the years since.

    However, and this is coming from an active duty military member, the smaller military bases and forts in this game are VASTLY under utilized. Most of them are just.. one or two buildings (or basically shacks) with a handful of corpses and maybe a single locked storage container with some decent prewar loot.

    Actual military bases, even small ones that wouldnt be considered priority targets, are basically small self sufficient towns with grocery stores, houses, and plenty of real estate to explore and walk around.

    New Vegas touched on this with the Boomers at Nellis AFB, bit even that could be expanded upon. How about a thriving settlement based out of a small rural military base that was spared nuclear annihilation due to its relative unimportance compared to the larger targets?

    It would still be an easy to secure, well armed town at this point with plenty of well trained individuals to keep the peace. They would have plenty of food and water to last them long enough to really establish themselves in the local area, with a very diverse gene pool and enough like minded individuals working towards a common goal that I feel they could easily last for quite awhile if left alone.

    Here's my pitch. A fallout set in any state that got hit, but not with the full brunt of the nukes.

    Nukes get dropped, contact is lost with the other bases. The CO puts the base on lockdown and moves all non essential personell to the bases' bunkers and all essential personell are put in MOPP gear/power armor to guard the base from looters and opportunists, letting civillians in if they need help.

    The CO realizes the war is lost and shifts priorities from "kill commies" to "protect what people I have left." The gates stay closed, rotating guard watches are set, rations are divvied up, and everyone is assigned tasks to keep the base functional. Over the years they establish a somewhst self sufficient commuity who frequently trades with caravans and isnt isolated, but is cautious of outsiders.

    Their military command structure hasn't held up over the years, but remnants of it remain. Important people in the community are still given "promotions" based on their work for the community, and these still command respect, but it isn't a military mindset. However, a LOT of knowledge of pre-war america and its culture survives with them, both from terminals that were able to be kept in working order, the on-base library, and the small amount of damage done to the base comparared to high-value installations.

    So this place would be a microchosm of Fallout's pre-war america. The way people dressed, how they carried themselves, and what they valued survives on and has remained more-or-less intact. I think talking to those people, reading those terminal entries, and exploring that base would be a FANTASTIC way for Bethesda to organically flesh out the story of pre-war America in this franchise, and allow players to learn more about how people lived and acted before the bombs dropped compared to how we live today.

    Obviously this is just what I'd like to see, but what are your guy's thoughts?

    Also sorry for spelling if there's issues, i'm on mobile.

    Edit: the discussion in this thread has been awesome, maybe it's time I finally play Fallout 1 and 2. And I appreciate the awards, but if you're going to give money to anything, consider donating to The Trevor Project a 24 hour suicide lifeline for LGBTQ+ youth. They could use the money more than reddit.

    submitted by /u/daedric_hooker
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 4's Affinity system is the best thing about the companions

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 09:45 AM PST

    I'll never forget the time I went to the combat zone, cleared out the raiders and got Cait as a companion. And then as I started picking some locks, I noticed "Cait Liked That."

    While an affinity system is nothing new, for fallout 4 in my first couple playthroughs it had me thinking "Okay, that's interesting. There's more to this character then I thought." I'm the type of guy who doesn't really like travelling with companions, but fallout 4 made me want to travel with one because they each had their own interests.

    I'll always remember going through Saugus Ironworks, when suddenly Cait pulls me aside and opens about her past which made me even more invested in her character. I know you can technically exploit the affinity system to quickly gain rep with the follower, but over the course of the story, and your adventures with the companion, it definitely feels like you really bond with them.

    While New Vegas had great companions, I never really went with them because it felt like I could handle most of what the game threw at me on my own.

    In Fallout 4, while it has a similar difficulty, exploring the wastes of Boston doesn't have the same feel as exploring the wastes of the Mojave. And in those regards, When a game makes me want to see what every companion has to say about me, their past, what they do and don't like it definitely feels like these are somewhat 3 dimensional characters that I can get behind and say "Okay, well done Bethesda."

    I'll never forget going down to vault 95 to help Cait kick her psycho habit, going to Med-Tek to help MacCready get a cure for his sickly son and a beautifully voice acted, and written romance option. Or finding out that Danse, in all the time I was working with him, was a synth and defending him tooth and nail from Maxson's Hypocrisy. Helping the adorably Naïve Curie discover what it means to be human, and falling in love. The Great Nick Valentine and scouring across Boston to serve justice to an old, pre-war mobster.

    The companions are easily the best part about FO4 through my 1000 hours of playtime and I always find myself drifting to some of my favorites, like Cait, Like MacCready, and Curie. While the companions are not particularly complicated, they're still leagues better then the story of FO4. If the next fallout game focuses on the characters and personal stories instead of world changing events, I would love it, because I'm a stickler for good characters.

    Your welcome to disagree, but I definitely feel like Fallout 4's biggest strength is the companions to the overall weak plot it has.

    submitted by /u/DexxToress
    [link] [comments]

    The next Fallout should reintroduce skills

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 05:59 AM PST

    However, they should update the system to be more akin to Skyrim. It makes sense for an RPG, your character does something amd they get better at it instead of leveling up and magically getting better at whatever you want even if you've never picked a lock or punched a face in your life.

    This would also give leeway for more skill checks so instead of intelligence being tied to everything intelligence related, your character would need to actually be good at medicine to pass medicine skill and so on. Also with a Skyrim system you couldn't just dump you skill points into a skill when you know a check is coming up, you'd have to actually work for it.

    I also think bringing back skills would make room for more interesting perks. Instead of there being 1 perk for every level of a SPECIAL (some of which being boring stuff like shoot rifles better) you could have more specialized perks relating to both SPECIAL and skill. Maybe with a strength of 8 and repair of 60 your character knows the ins and outs of a lock and has a good amount of strength to be able to kick open locked doors that are below very hard and are a regular wooden door but at the cost of alerting anyone who is in the room. Stuff like that. I also think basic ass perks should be relegated to perks you get over time like in New Vegas. So instead of having to upgrade rifles or sneak to be 20 percent more effective, just give it to me by doing it. Killed 30 things with a rifle? You are now 20% better with them. This way you get to have more of the fun unique perks and build a more specialized character.

    EDIT: I know Skyrims system is not perfect. I think it should definitely be improved upon. However i think the general idea of get better at doing things by doing things is good and fits an RPG

    submitted by /u/-Constantinos-
    [link] [comments]

    Finally got around to hanging my S.P.E.C.I.A.L posters from the FO4 collector edition

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 07:39 PM PST

    How the Minutemen could be the East’s “NCR”

    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 04:25 AM PST

    The Minutemen. Love them or hate them, they are most likely here to stay. The fact that the Minutemen, despite practically being extinct at the beginning, is the one faction in Fallout that you can't kill off means either it's probably going to be canon that the Soul Survivor reforms them into something greater, or they will come back one way or another in a future Fallout game. So how can these peasant farmers who really only focus on making life better for simple settlers in the Commonwealth possibly go onto become a post-war superpower like the NCR?

    Think of it like this, as ragtag and small as the Minutemen are even when you complete their main quests, retake the fort, and beat the main game, they would still cover a majority of the Commonwealth. All 29 of those settlements that you claim around the Commonwealth for them (granted you don't betray them for the Nuka World raiders) make up complete settlements under the protection of the Minutemen.

    For those of you who don't know much about Fallout 1 or 2, the massive NCR presence you see all over the Mojave in New Vegas is mostly just the military might of the NCR. By Fallout New Vegas the NCR controls practically the entire state of California, some of Oregon, some of Nevada, and even some of Mexico. It's HUGE. And all of that started from a simple isolated adobe village called Shady Sands.

    So in comparison, you have Shady Sands, a small village in the middle of nowhere that went onto absorb what remained of Los Angeles, The Hub, Junktown, San Diego, Baja, and all this territory. All thanks to the help of the Vault Dweller. I see no reason as to why the Minutemen who already has way more land than Shady Sands by the end of FO4 can't go on to help other settlements and spread their influence and become a bigger, more capable faction thanks to the Sole Survivor as their General.

    So they have more territory, how would they get the resources needed to create such a superpower? This is gonna be a wild thing to say... but The Institute. If the Sole Survivor takes over the Institute after Shawn's death and puts an end to all the horrible things they've done, shape it up be better, and work with the Minutemen, then they'd have practically anything they need at their disposal. The only thing is that mind you, this would mean the destruction of the Brotherhood which I don't see Bethesda letting go of anytime soon. It's still however the best outcome for the Commonwealth, to reform the Institute and Minutemen.

    I know that canon endings are something Fallout doesn't really like to solidify, however based on how the timeline has been moving we can pretty much see what ending happened and what didn't. Fallout 1 has the death of the Master and destruction of Mariposa, Fallout 2 has the destruction of the oil rig and Enclave, Fallout 3 has project purity enacted and again the destruction of the Enclave. Only New Vegas and Fallout 4 have no definitive answer to its end, but I feel like that'll change in the next mainline entry for FO4.

    By the next Fallout game, who knows? Maybe the Minutemen will be renamed to something else as Shady Sands was to the NCR and will have a much larger presence not only wherever the game takes place but also other territories as well?

    submitted by /u/MrSixtyMinuteman
    [link] [comments]

    Does bringing an Automatic Rifle to Zion do anything cool?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 08:07 PM PST

    The dead horses idolize weapons of browning, and the automatic rifle is one of them. Does it have any special effect bringing one to Zion?

    submitted by /u/Tomdaaahom
    [link] [comments]

    From the end game slides I have concluded that the courier the absolute chad

    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 02:04 AM PST

    Was able to do every single thing he did in the story(depends which side you chose) in the same vault suit doc Mitchel gave him

    submitted by /u/Eisenhower_is_dad
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 4 ending question.

    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 01:40 AM PST

    I haven't fully completed the game, and I know there are different endings based on the factions. Which ending do you recommend

    submitted by /u/jergar66
    [link] [comments]

    TriangleCity's Amazing Fallout New Vegas Cut Content Videos

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 05:03 PM PST

    If you are a fan of Fallout New Vegas and are interested in its cut content, then I IMPLORE you to check out TriangleCity's youtube channel. His cut content series is very in depth and very nicely done, it really gives you a feeling for the absolute TRAGEDY that is Fallout New Vegas' short development time and what the game could have been if the developers were given more time. The sheer amount of creative thought, assets and ideas left unused is staggering, you'd think there was more cut content than game itself. Obsidian really clutched one hell of a game, in my mind one of the best games of all time, its sad in a way to see all that was left unfinished.

    TriangleCity's Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/TriangleCity/videos

    submitted by /u/Blackstreak50
    [link] [comments]

    Far Harbor or Nuka World?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 04:58 PM PST

    What was your first exposure to the Fallout franchise?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 09:48 PM PST

    Not your first game, your first exposure to the world of Fallout in general.

    submitted by /u/Intelleblue
    [link] [comments]

    How moddable is Fallout 1/2?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 02:33 PM PST

    Sorry for the stupid question but I've been wanting to get into the modding scene and feel like these two games be perfect for what I want to do.

    submitted by /u/FiveGallonFish
    [link] [comments]

    Years after, what were you adventures in the Wastelands of Fallout 1?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 10:00 PM PST

    There are some pretty funny anecdotes from people who have played Fallout 1.
    What were yours OG fans?

    submitted by /u/Geraldbals
    [link] [comments]

    My journey through the Zion Canyon was a selfimposed hell and I didn't even realise it until it was too late

    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 03:54 AM PST

    I started the Honest Hearts DLC of Fallout: New Vegas yesterday after completing the heist on the Sierre Madre, and damn was that DLC good. I was pretty hyped up after Dead Monkey so I entered the Zion Canyon with the Happy Trails caravan and we got ambushed immediatly.

    It was established from the beginning that the Whitelegs (or whatever they are called in the english version) are the bad guys. So I naturally shot every Whiteleg I crossed paths with. After killing one of them after the first bridge I failed a few quests, but I didn't think much of that, because I thought this may be related to the Vault 22 Pip-Boy guy I chased away before the DLC.

    There I got the first quest: Find a map of the Zion Canyon. Fair enough I thought, but it was a bit suspicios that this quest lead me to the other end of the map. I again didn't think much of it, so I carried on.

    I visited almost every single location on the path to the Narrows (I unlocked all locations beforehand with the Perk) and got a bit confused because there was no single peaceful encounter, only enemies on the way, but again I didn't look much into it. I thought this location is similar to the Sierra Madre Villa, where there's only hazards and hostility on the way to the true end location. The area also reminds me of Australia where everything wants to kill you and that just further reinforced my suspicions.

    Now, a few minutes ago, I found the map of the Zion Canyon, after 4 to 5 hours of gameplay. I was overjoyed because finally I'd meet the Burned One I thought, but then it hit me like a truck... I finished the DLC... Everything suddenly become clear before my eyes, but it's too late now and I can only laugh at myself and facepalm for my stupidity. I sincerely hope I'm not the only one out there that killed the character at the beginning of the DLC and went through the same funny hell I did, but I doubt someone is as stupid as I am.

    I just needed to let you be part of that mixed-feeling-journey of mine, I think this is a story worth telling lol

    Tl;dr

    I fucked up and killed a main character at the beginning by mistake and so everyone and everything was hostile and I completely missed every single Quest in the DLC without even realising...

    submitted by /u/Finstersonne
    [link] [comments]

    I’ve never actually seen a glowing one resurrect another ghoul?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 06:59 PM PST

    I've played fallout 4 and 76, and tried but didn't get very far in 3 and New Vegas and the only place I've ever seen this ability in fallout shelter. But I've heard snippets from other sources that glowing ones can resurrect fallen ghouls?

    I can understand if it's not present in 76 but I somehow never saw this in 4? Does the difficulty need to be increased or something? I've never even seen it in videos even

    Edit: so it does exist, it's just rare. And if you happen to be good you probably kill the ghouls too quickly for it to happen

    submitted by /u/WhiteFenix207
    [link] [comments]

    Playing styles (pre 76)

    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 03:42 AM PST

    I'm about to start my first '2nd play through' of a fallout game (4) inspired by this Reddit. Sorry about the long post!

    I've played since F3 but have only really got my head around the nuances of the game since starting wastelanders and understood what a rpg is.

    Previously I had no real tactic, kinda forgot the story lines and focused on the thing I love which is grinding and levelling up my character and weapons.

    I wanted to ask the community on some tips to make the best of a playthrough and also your playing styles. Despite always hitting 200 hours I think I'm still slightly a casual!!!

    Here are some thoughts/questions for some general topics

    1. Does anyone take notes?!?!? E.g. you find a locked safe/door/terminal early on that you can't access and then go back later

    2. Saving; how militant are you about naming them and then going back and playing 3/4 hours again as you didn't get the expected outcome

    3. Factions; i normally try and take everyone as close to the end as possible but not 100% sure I get the benefits afforded by each faction

    4. There is so much content, are you hardcores reading all terminal entries, notes, listening properly when given quests etc

    Thanks for any and all comments and hope you're all having a cool weekend

    submitted by /u/Occasionalstoner
    [link] [comments]

    Feral Power Armour

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 10:11 AM PST

    I've been thinking of this neat idea of power armor ghouls. Not like the Vault Tec Rep or Hancock, but feral ones. I think they could be wearing a Unique set of power armor that looks melted into them and when you kill them there's a chance they drop a piece of the armor. I'm open to feedback, so please leave a comment about your feelings on the idea. Thanks!

    submitted by /u/LettuceLadTheMighty
    [link] [comments]

    Different location

    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 02:49 AM PST

    Who would like to see the next Fallout game located outside United States, on different continent and where?

    submitted by /u/J-96788-EU
    [link] [comments]

    Years After, What do you think of Fallout 4’s DLCs?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 07:12 PM PST

    Opinions please.

    No whining or moaning about others opinions.

    No dividing the community. E.g. "People who say Fallout 3 and 4 is good are plebs" or "People who like Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas over Fallout 3 and 4 are butthurt fanboys!" is dividing the community. It's a game series. Each game has a new story. Nothing else.

    Make sure that it's about the DLC's Far Harbor, Automatron, Nuka World, Wasteland Workshop, Vault-tec workshop and Contraptions Workshop.

    If you disagree, discuss it, not debate it.

    No spoilers. Or at least warn us.

    Anyway, share your opinions, discuss your faves or even your least faves.

    Remember, we're a community, we've been going on for about 12 years now. I probably will respond to all of the comments, but just don't expect an answer.

    submitted by /u/Geraldbals
    [link] [comments]

    how do i secure the galactic zone?

    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 02:25 AM PST

    im running around but have no idea what im doing, its the only place left to secure but i don't know if its collecting all the star cores or just running around killing everything or if there's a terminal or whatever. all videos i can find are long useless walkthroughs, unrelated or about star cores but you need some high level skills from what I've seen, is there a quest besides star control that i do to secure this place???

    submitted by /u/ms_footlover
    [link] [comments]

    [FO4] GUNSHOT SOUNDS DELAYED, NO FIX?

    Posted: 14 Nov 2020 01:39 AM PST

    Gunshot sound effect is delayed by 1 second. Done all the normal shit, drivers etc. No mods. 1660 super, 3600 r5, 16 gigs of ram, and an SSD. Patience is wearing thin with this stupid bug, if anybody knows a fix please do tell.

    submitted by /u/WashingtonSteel
    [link] [comments]

    I am a Newbie to Fallout 4

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 09:37 PM PST

    Hello,reddit i am new to Fallout 4,and i need some tips

    submitted by /u/NuclearGuy69x
    [link] [comments]

    what are the best weapons?

    Posted: 13 Nov 2020 03:15 PM PST

    what are the best weapons, ie, most damage, fire rate. and what is the best perks for that weapon?

    submitted by /u/1amfriendly
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment