• Breaking News

    Friday, February 5, 2021

    Fallout | ZeniMax CEO Robert A. Altman has sadly passed away.

    Fallout | ZeniMax CEO Robert A. Altman has sadly passed away.


    ZeniMax CEO Robert A. Altman has sadly passed away.

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 09:59 AM PST

    It is with great sadness that the CEO of ZeniMax, Robert A. Altman has passed away. Our condolences go out to his family, friends, and colleagues during this difficult time.

    The official announcement from Bethesda:

    submitted by /u/_Synecdoche_
    [link] [comments]

    It's really sad how much effort went into the south of New Vegas map considering how to little content there is there.

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 10:48 PM PST

    I was wandering around the south of the map during an recent replay of FNV and was surprised how much detail went into the border area. The Crescent Canyon especially struck me as a location that had a lot of effort put into it but ultimately has little purpose in game.

    submitted by /u/HasSomeSelfEsteem
    [link] [comments]

    The series should include a brand of pickles called Nuke-umbers

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 03:14 PM PST

    What was the most terrifying thing to happen to you in Fallout 4 or any Fallout game?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 08:28 PM PST

    For me, I went into the Super Duper Mart for the first time with low ammo not knowing that I would be ambushed by all those ghouls. Plus I was still really new to the game at the time. I walked into the store, everything seemed fine then all these ghouls wake up start attacking me, I had JUST enough ammo to clear out the place. I think that was the first and only time I've EVER been so scared of a game that I got to the point of being jittery/shaky.

    Nowadays (30+ hours) nothing scares me anymore lol.

    submitted by /u/MrProtogen1
    [link] [comments]

    The Vaults found in Fallout 4 are pretty lackluster to me

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 03:21 AM PST

    Compared to past games, they all feel so boring and don't have the same atmosphere as previous vaults we've seen. I loved going into vaults in f3 and NV because I knew it was going to be creepy and have something sinister going down whereas in 4 I never had a desire to go to them as I felt they didn't offer much in terms of lore and whatnot. Even the soundtrack doesn't give off the same vibes it did with NV and 3.

    Hoping that Fo5 will go back to its roots of vaults being creepy and eerie filled with vile experiments and enemies

    submitted by /u/Ulanoki
    [link] [comments]

    Looking back at Fallout 4 Survival Mode

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 03:07 AM PST

    I was in military Covid quarantine for 2 weeks. Isolated in a room with a roommate where we had our meals served to us through the door. Borderline prison but that's beside the point. I played Fallout 4 for 12 straight days. Wake up. Play fallout 4 for about 16 hours. Go to bed. Repeat.

    I played FO4 on release and I was not impressed. I played mostly the story line and I thought it was garbage. I promptly uninstalled the game and never looked back... until I did.

    I figured Fallout would be a good way to spend quarantine. I already had my modded versions of FO3 and New Vegas so I downloaded FO4. While i was downloading it I saw that Far Harbor had very good reviews. I had quit the game before the DLCs had come out so I felt like it would liven up my experience.

    When I launched the game I was greeted by a new difficulty option. Survival Mode. This is a mode where: - Your health bar doesnt change but enemies deal 400% damage. - Fatigue / AP is managed by sleeping and eating - Ammo has weight - There is no - There is NO SAVING. The game only auto saves when you sleep.

    Personally... this was revolutionary. It turned FO4 into a survival horror game. I had to play it slow and safe because if I didnt I would be sent back about 30 minutes. I am the kind of guy to QuickSave before I take my Stealth Archer shot in Skyrim. This completely changed the way I played FO4.

    I was taken aback by the FEAR I felt going around corners and opening doors. Mutants and Ghouls could easily ruin me. Traps became the bane of my existence.

    One of the best parts of Survival Mode is that it doesnt modify the health of enemies. I really hate when enemies become bullet sponges... I'm looking at you Borderlands...

    So I played the game and pretty much 100% the main game and decided to go to Far Harbor and HOLY SHIT.

    Far Harbor is definitely the superior FO4 story. I genuinely felt attached to characters from my arrival on the island. I wont spoil too much but it was for sure a worth while experience.

    To wrap this all up. I am glad that I gave FO4 a second look. I got my character up to level 79 and I enjoyed my time in quarantine.

    submitted by /u/Sierra25TacSat
    [link] [comments]

    Any news on a new fallout title?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 03:07 AM PST

    I know 76 is still super fresh, and I'm playing it a lot currently, but has there been any official talk of a new fallout title? And if not, any speculation on when it might be a thing?

    submitted by /u/vladimir301
    [link] [comments]

    One thing I dislike about Fallout 4 is that you have to fight enemies constantly

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 05:17 AM PST

    I'm replaying the game now and don't get me wrong, I love this game but at the same time I kinda feel a bit of a burnout because you have to constantly fight enemies.

    I wish there was more choices when it comes to avoiding enemies or being able to skip the fights entirely

    submitted by /u/Gonzito3420
    [link] [comments]

    Something that's always bothered me about 4's supermutant faces

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 12:12 AM PST

    Something about their faces always reads as low poly. Like it hasn't loaded in all the way. Whenever I look at their faces, it takes a moment of looking at the finer details to realize that it has probably loaded in fine. Does anyone else experience this feeling, or am I alone in this?

    submitted by /u/GenuineCulter
    [link] [comments]

    Virgil’s Mutant Reversal serum as a FO5 Plot Point?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 08:13 PM PST

    I think it's really cool when small plot points become bigger in a latter game, like FO3 and the institute, so I was thinking what side quest's could have greater implications for the whole of the wasteland, and the majority of side quest are purely local shenanigans, but obviously mutants are a wide spread issue.

    The last we saw of the serum it's was very successful to Vergil's own DNA. Safe to assume t he best game wont be directly after fo4 in time frame, giving reasonable time for Vergil's serum to be refined and ready for general use.

    Now, this probably isn't interesting enough for the main plot, but definitely a good side story or gameplay system. Perfect opportunity to bring in Marcus and Vergil, maybe even strong lol. Go around offering to reverse the mutations, and how the mutants react, if you can cure a whole town new traders move in ect. and the overall wasteland is safer.

    Can't wait for FO5 is 2030 regardless (cries)

    submitted by /u/112DB
    [link] [comments]

    Whatever happened to Fallout: New York?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 11:24 PM PST

    I remember there being a great deal of fanfare and the n a post discussing the plot, but haven't seen or heard anything about this mod lately, anybody know what happened?

    submitted by /u/Jonfartsparkles
    [link] [comments]

    Would love to see this in a future fallout

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 01:17 AM PST

    the ability to have multiple characters in the same game world.

    submitted by /u/VDAP76
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 1 won't start

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 10:42 PM PST

    I don't know if this is the right place for this but I have downloaded fallout 1 from the Bethesda launcher as well as fallout 2 and when I launched fallout 1 for the first time it worked. I got off and when I went to load in again it just closes, I get to the first launcher, not even the home of the game, and when I click play it just closes. I am on windows ten.

    submitted by /u/AverageSoda
    [link] [comments]

    Anyone else hate the lack of, “stand up for myself” dialogue?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 12:53 PM PST

    I'm so tired of running around having to let everyone talk to me like a chump and the only options to respond are things like, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend you." Or just ignoring rude things altogether. Yeah I could just open fire, but sometimes I wanna say downright awful things too you know? I hope they have this if a new fallout is made. Like if threatened there could always be an option that's like, "go ahead say that one more time." Or "when you speak to me speak with respect. Or you'll never speak again." Dialogue options changing depending on karma would be cool, (assuming it makes a comeback lol). I'm just tired of my character being spineless in conversation 😂😂

    submitted by /u/the_dawn_breaker
    [link] [comments]

    Do you think the fallout community is toxic?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 02:38 PM PST

    I have always thought this was a chill community but recently it seems that if I get a little fact wrong I will be called out and get shunned for not being correct, am I the only one or has anyone else had a few toxic interactions?

    submitted by /u/FML647
    [link] [comments]

    What is your favorite armor from the fallout franchise?

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 09:36 AM PST

    Must be lore-friendly armor, none from fan-made, and none from creation club

    submitted by /u/DeificAtom93993
    [link] [comments]

    Thinking about playing fallout 76

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 11:37 PM PST

    I played the first fallout that came out and I was not a fan played for a few days and never touched it again was to buggy for me how is 76 ? Is it worth playing ? I'm a fan of rpg games just do t want to be let down like another game I played here recently... also playing on a series x if that makes a difference

    submitted by /u/LSD_is_awesome225
    [link] [comments]

    Is there anyway to play the original uncut Version of the frontier mod for new vegas?

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 03:17 AM PST

    I just finished my playthrough with the base game and dlc, then I found out about a mod that adds a new campaign, but the devs say that they removed a few things so is there anyway to get the original uncut mod?

    submitted by /u/TCTRA
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout crashing on start up

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 11:24 PM PST

    My fallout 4 was running fine fully modded(around 50 mods all compatible 100%)just a few weeks ago, now after clicking play on the game it goes to a black screen, the enb prompt shows up at the corner of the screen then after a few seconds boom crashes to desktop. I tried everything nothing worked. Yes my system can handle the game and mods. My F4SE is up to date as well as all other mods and drivers. I got lucky once and the game launched but it had 5 min long loading screens when fast traveling or doing anything but that was the last time it ever worked. Any ideas how to fix this?

    submitted by /u/HeavyMetalDC
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 4 mods help

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 02:58 AM PST

    I'm quite new to the FO4 modding scene, grabbed a bunch of stuff from Nexus and installed using Vortex, and in the starting scene the Vault 111 is basically missing, the elevator's not there forcing all the vault "dwellers" to fall to the ground, and the hallway after the vault suit is gone, also when taking the vault suit it was called "LOOKUP FAILED", here's the screenshot of that and the mod list

    https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/482220828616818700/807203194035109908/unknown.png?width=1202&height=676
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/482220828616818700/807203213769703434/unknown.png?width=1202&height=676
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/482220828616818700/807203268076765194/unknown.png?width=1202&height=676
    https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/482220828616818700/807203375035973662/unknown.png?width=1202&height=676

    submitted by /u/BileThePilot
    [link] [comments]

    The Frontier: my experience/thoughts

    Posted: 05 Feb 2021 02:57 AM PST

    Gameplay is ok but the story is in very poor taste. Some moments/events took place that felt out of context and didn't really seem to take place in the current situation(s).

    Enjoyed being able to drive a vehicle in a fallout game although it got repetitive.

    New factions are pretty interesting. Just wished the devs focused on storytelling and development instead of their fetish simulator.

    If I want to join the enclave, let me join the enclave. No game should deny you of joining a faction because the devs feel like pushing their agenda out in the wide open for all to see and obey.

    Fucked a deathclaw. Not sure what to write here. I thought it'd become a pet companion like Rex

    Finally, I'm not into child enslavement. Didn't like it then, don't like it now, don't want to see it later.

    God bless the sneeveclade and God bless America.

    submitted by /u/No_Programmer2278
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 4 is crashing like crazy and I don't know why

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 04:18 PM PST

    So I'm playing fallout 4 on my Xbox one again, but this time with mods and it keeps crashing like crazy. Does anyone have an idea why? Like I've removed most of my mods that change the world as a whole but that was just a weather mod and I still have a visible galaxy mod and a blood textures mod. Does anyone have any ideas?

    submitted by /u/staggman
    [link] [comments]

    First impressions of Fallout 4 from a (more or less) newbie (lengthy rant)

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 10:40 AM PST

    Some discussions about Bethesda open world games in addition to me listening to Skyrim and Oblivion ambience music while working and trying to wander around the neighborhood to deal with the Pandemic lockdown... seem to have successfully given me the itch to try out one of the Bethesda games I had not yet tried out. But I had already played Elder Scrolls 2-5 (somehow never managed to find my way out the first dungeon in Arena...), so my eyes fell to Fallout. I played Fallout 3 as a kid, but my memories are kinda fuzzy. I beat the Main Quest and Broken Steel, but I was somehow very confused about the difference between the Enclave and the Brotherhood of Steel factions and more or less just stumbled aimlessly around. I did get Fallout 1 and 2 when it became free on GOG and started a Fallout 1 playthrough, but got stuck fairly early on as I was savescumming my way through a Raider camp and somehow lost interest. So... I more or less had the choice between buying Fallout 4 and New Vegas in a sale and, because of my previous contact with Bethesdas version instead of the Obsidian game I bought... Fallout 4. I was a bit stumped to realize the game is already six years old, damn I'm getting old.

    So... well... yes. Let's start with the positives. It's a very addictive game, the gunplay is smooth, exploring is fun and the settlement building is triggering all my OCDs. I have to find that detective that could maybe help find my son? Ah sorry, I'm busy because these two dudes I stumbled upon in the middle of fucking nowhere don't have water supply and lack proper defenses, so I've got to do that first. Yeah, in typical Bethesda fashion the main quest is in that strange spot of feeling super urgent, but the distractions everywhere keep you occupied. I also actually really love the idea to make power armor very resource intensive to use and make you judge for every quest whether it makes sense to take it with you or not, instead of being just generic high-level gear that doesn't work any differently to any clothing except some arbitrary perk that decides whether you can wear it or not. Or at least I would like to say that if my level 15 character hasn't already collected 5 sets of the stuff, with three of them coming with a working frame. This is the Oblivion effect of random bandits running around in full Daedric or Glass armor all over again.

    But the thing that keeps pulling me out of the universe is... ages ago I watched a video from someone about Bethesda's handling of the worldbuilding and I really can't unsee the truth in that argument: Why the fuck does everybody live in trash? This is 200 years after the nukes fell. Fallout 1 and 2 have established that by now not only new cities have been built, but whole nations formed on the West Coast. And yet here at the East Coast people are still wallowing helplessly in rubble, with there only being two major hubs in the entirety of the Boston area, with one in a baseball stadium and the other one being just a single old Boston city block that I haven't found yet despite the map feeling extremely small. That's something that already plagued Fallout 3, but there at least it came with the excuse of the DC area having been nuked to kingdom come in a way few other places were. Also the ruins at least as far as I can remember looked absolutely desolate and mostly picked clean. But in Fallout 4? The place is trashed, but every single building looks untouched and still filled with a ludicrous amount of old world goodies which severely breaks my immersion. Like... these people lived in piles of garbage for the last 200 years and yet never picked any of it up? For real?

    I feel like there is a weird thematic dissonance here that could have been easily resolved by having Fallout 4 take place simultaneously to Fallout 1. The theme of the game is rebuilding society out of the ashes, that's what the whole super optimistic settlement mechanic is about (can't say much about the main quest yet for obvious reasons, other than what I've picked up so far is a super lazy Bladerunner rip-off). So why not have the game take place in a timeframe where it makes the most thematic sense for people to rebuild society amongst the still mostly untouched ruins of Boston? Because it doesn't make sense that people are starting just now. Heck, the game itself acknowledges that by having Preston tell you that the Minutemen used to be a notable power and had lots of settlements under their protection. Except... there are none in the game as far as I can tell! So even if the game gives you the shallow justification that the state of the area is so miserable because shadowy forces like the Institute keep people down, then why am I not finding abandoned newer cities? There is literally nothing in the game indicating Preston's claim that the Boston area had ever seen a massive attempt at renovation that went to hell. Actually this would make the world a lot more interesting to explore: What if the city of Boston had been rebuilt as a major city, but the fracturing of its defenders and the onslaught of hostiles caused people to give up most of the city and huddle together in Diamond city for protection? Then you can explore abandoned ruins, but the stuff there is decidedly not 200 years old, instead you find signs everywhere of people rebuilding and then being forced to flee or get killed. But I guess that's not possible because I notice the writers of the game are a lot more interested in exploring pre-war America through the lens of computer logs than exploring the events following it, explaining why everything is so ridiculously preserved.

    There is also another gripe that I have: I was... shocked, to say the least, that all other Vault residents who were frozen alongside me were killed for little reason. Resettling your old hometown as the first thing in the game brings a nice touch of heartache, but it seemed strange to do that with a bunch of random strangers that you were supposed to feel attached to all of a sudden. It kinda rail-roaded you into siding with the Minutemen early on and spend a considerable amount of time building settlements for them if you aren't an ass that likes to leave them starving. Given how desperately I ran around the Vault interacting with every cryo capsule and all the diagnosis terminals desperately hoping to find any survivors made me think that I felt like my character should have been more attached to his neighbors. In fact it's a little jarring to be roped into helping Preston without even giving me room to actually voice my background or confusion about the world (the PC didn't even seem fazed when offered some caps as a reward... like that should be a really odd reward, wouldn't it?). My alternate take on this would have been that you wake up alongside all the other frozen people and only your wife is dead and your child taken. Make the first settlement that you found in your old suburb populated by the vault dwellers, the very people who lived there before, as they adjust to this hostile new world and have to adapt and choose allies in the different factions of the wasteland. That would have been super cool and immersive and you wouldn't feel so railroaded as your fellow vault dwellers are basically just an extension of you since you are all essentially sitting in the same boat. You are not just some guy sticking with whatever faction you encounter first, but you are a faction in its own right and you'll make damn sure that your mark on the wasteland is yours. This would actually also somewhat soften the urgency of this whole "find the missing family member" nonsense that they already pulled in Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Shaun's disappearance is your personal tragedy, but you are not on your own and have a responsibility ensuring the survival of your friends and neighbors, so there are more immediate concerns that need to be dealt with before you are allowed to head out for a wild goose chase you have no clues for.

    Another missed opportunity I noticed is how... ludicrously little use is made out of roleplaying aspects. I made the mistake of creating a charisma and intelligence heavy character to see whether I could talk myself out of most situations. Instead I should have made a strength-heavy character to carry more loot. -.- For real, 90% of times when you get a speech check option in dialogue it's just to extort more money from quest givers. And even when they bothered to actually give you an extended quest (Diamond City Blues) that allows you several creative ways to resolve the situation... it just... breaks. Like... I think I solved the quest in the best possible way by having the sleazy mobster bar owner leave the town without killing him and yet everyone involved in the quest treats me as if I just murdered him and yet my quest giver angrily tells me I ruined his life whenever I pass him in the streets. I... think a few flags got set wrong there... Probably during the mobster shootout outside the city that my character got oddly roped in into with no connection to the initial quest whatsoever. I killed one character without talking to him (the wiki notes I should have, even though it wouldn't make sense for the ambush idea) and another one I spared got randomly shot as she was backing off. On a related note: Why make so little out of the background of your character? The opening sequence mentioned that the male player character is a war veteran and the female player character is a lawyer. So it makes perfect sense that the game feels a lot more shooty than the previous installments (for the male character anyway), in fact I'd argue the fact that the character can now use power armor without acquiring special training makes perfect sense in that regard . Long story short: Why not incorporate that into different starting conditions. Give the male character starting perks related to weapon and armor use, while female characters get speech and leadership perks that allow her to build a higher-tier settlement right away. The justification for that is already there!

    One last grumble: Why do my hand crafted settlements also look like piles of garbage hastily nailed together? Even the horribly expensive concrete buildings look more like bombed out pre-war shacks than stuff you just built from scratch. If I spend most of my time so far trying to give everyone I meet some shelter, I want it to look like an actual town where people can live instead of just survive wallowing in garbage... And I found a neat place called "Starlight Drive-In" where I intended to do just that. Being a drive-in cinema it is mostly just an extremely large flat parking lot with a pond in the middle you can extract water from. I feel like I should get a mod that allows you to build actual solid buildings and make a proper city out of it.

    Okay... that was a whole lot of text. XD It looks like I'm just venting my frustrations, but I want to like the game because the mechanics are fun and strangely addictive, it's just ... the world just feels so shallow and unbelievable. Like that quote from that video I watched said: "Bethesda seems more interested in creating rubble-themed shooting galleries" than fleshing out the world. And that's just sad...

    submitted by /u/Dschehuti-Nefer
    [link] [comments]

    RIP Robert Altman

    Posted: 04 Feb 2021 03:03 PM PST

    I just wanted to take the time to send my condolences to Robert Altman, CEO of Zenimax media.

    submitted by /u/Irish_andGermanguy
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment