• Breaking News

    Saturday, February 1, 2020

    Fallout | The radio really helps make a good setting for the games

    Fallout | The radio really helps make a good setting for the games


    The radio really helps make a good setting for the games

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 05:31 PM PST

    The contrast between the pre war music while you are doing your thing around the wasteland contrasts directly with what you do around the wasteland but more than that it puts emphasis on how messed up the world is now. I feel this is the case especially in 3 because 3's wasteland is more desolate and ruined and deadly, when you scavenge and explore the dc ruins killing mutants and ghouls while listening to happy pop music, not just because of the irony between the tone of the music and what you are doing but because you can see what the future has devolved into.

    I cant help but imagine if someone would see what you are doing or what became of their happy neighborhoods 200 years later.

    Personally i think a good fallout game has to be a post nuclear RPG, some here think that the focus on the 50's culture is a not only sign of bethesda not understanding the source material but makes fallout 3 to be a bad fallout game. But i think the settings are good, just because this is a different style, theme or focus doesnt make it a bad game imo.

    submitted by /u/NathanEthenBradbury
    [link] [comments]

    "But its in the terminal entries." -What Bethesda doesn't understand about storytelling.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 05:08 AM PST

    Maybe this should be titled "What some Bethesda defenders don't understand about storytelling."

    Many of us, I would say even most of us, are trained to view the story we get through dialog, cutscenes, and action as mandatory story content. By extension we're trained to view terminal and holotape entries as optional content, like a codex. Its there to provide more world building if you want it but its not necessary to understand what's going on. (At least most of the time, a quest will tell you when reading a terminal entry or listening to a holotape isn't optional.)

    So if I were to, for example, complain that Fallout 4 has no story for the Super Mutants, saying that there's a story in the terminal entries is a weak comeback. That's like saying a key subplot of your novel is in the glossary.

    Likewise Fallout isn't just a book that I read by wandering around finding the pages one at a time. I'm looking at you, Fallout 76. Hopefully Wastelanders is the amazing fix everybody hopes it will be. I really am hoping Wastelanders will be a win for the fans because you need one and if it is a win, I might give the game another shot.

    Note: I'm not saying there isn't the odd occasional good story told through environmental exploration, holotapes and terminal entries, Vault 11 being the standout example. There were strong visual cues in the environment to make you want to explore the deeper mystery. But even then it was optional content not necessary to understand any other part of the story of New Vegas or even to explore Vault 11 (though if you didn't read the entries you might not know what you're in for in the last room.)

    Edit:My original point was, and I let some of you reframe my argument, that I shouldn't miss an entire key subplot because its told entirely on terminals. And if you're going to bury stories in terminal entries then make sure none of your terminal entries are inconsequential fluff. I dont want to read 50 terminals of irrelevant crap I don't care about to find the three or four that contain meaningful lore and story.

    What is my character? An obsessive compulsive that reads every file on every working terminal they encounter in the Wasteland?

    Also I've argued with some of you that it wouldn't be so bad if so much of terminal entries weren't irrelevant nonsense. You in turn have argued that it only makes sense that there would be irrelevant nonsense scattered among the useful relevant stuff. I counterargue that it doesn't make sense that there would only be 2 to 5 files on every terminal, obviously just like how Bethesda is only showing us a representative sample of the citizens in cities in their games, they're only showing us a sample of the terminal entries on terminals. So why not use that as an excuse to make all of the terminal entries you do show be actually relevant? That would make sense. We would understand that the character browses through all the irrelevant stuff for us and brings the relevant stuff to our attention.

    submitted by /u/Smooth_Complaint
    [link] [comments]

    I just found a Fallout Radio Music Pianist who's way too underrated

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 08:51 PM PST

    I was looking around and I found this person who basically makes piano covers of the songs you hear on the Fallout Radio. He hasn't uploaded in a while, but I have to say he makes amazing covers.

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkdyi2nRlIgTLRWuwBzhRyw

    submitted by /u/dxzys
    [link] [comments]

    Whether or not you play or even like 76, can we at least admit it bodes well for the future of the series that stuff like Dialogue with skill checks and the Reputation system are returning?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 12:31 PM PST

    Now, I know that speaking the forbidden number on this subreddit is pretty much akin to saying "hey, come lynch me!"- but as a long time fan of the series and someone who plays all of the games fairly regularly, is is very refreshing to see the team learning from the mistakes they made with Fallout 4 in Fallout 76. Stuff like lore consistency (because yes, the lore of 76 is actually consistent despite what the internet would have you believe. And if you're gonna bring up the Appalachian brotherhood... is the concept of a Military commander understanding how comms tech works and contacting a friend from the army to say "hey, the government is doing some fucky shit so maybe don't listen to orders from above" really so unrealistic?), quality of the writing, quality of the acting, and obviously the voiced protagonist. All of these are things that went the way of the dodo, because the fandom was not keen on them.

    Likewise, the shortcomings of 76 are likely to be kept out of the next mainline entry. I can't see multiplayer being kept aside from perhaps drop in co-op and a map based team deathmatch mode. Certainly not 20 players on one world map. Definitely never gonna see a game with no NPCs again... That experiment failed so poorly they're making a free patch that adds them. And luckily (and as much as a lot of you will hate to hear it) the game is gonna be alive for a while which will allow plenty more opportunities for feedback to be provided on what works, what doesn't, and what the fans want which will only make Fallout 5 that much better.

    submitted by /u/Phobos95
    [link] [comments]

    Should Psyker's have a more important role?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 08:51 PM PST

    Psyker's are one of the many intresting aspects of the Fallout Universe and have a whole bunch of intresting powers and implications. Should they have a more important role in the next Fallout game? Mama Murphy and The Forecaster can predict the future. Lorenzo Cabot shows that they can be powerful. Heck the player characters can also be considered a Psyker since when they have the Animal Friend perk it enables you to control hostile animals. Even if they are trained and owned by someone else like in New Vegas. Psyker's seem so cool and I would like to see more of them.

    submitted by /u/Pass_the_sorce
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 3 GOTY won't work on Steam or GOG.

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 04:55 AM PST

    I wanted to play fallout 3 again but this time on a pc (I've played it once but on ps3) So I Looked up different things and then i bought the game on steam. I downloaded a few mods, FOSE, Unofficial patch. etc. I tried to launch the game and the game just crashed when pressing play. I looked up different solutions like the mod disabling windows live and I disabled it. I play on windows 10 by the way. The outcome was the same, so i searched and found out it had troubles working on windows 10 aswell so I set the game to run as administrator and a couple of other things people told me to do and it was exactly the same. Then I saw that people said that it was updated on GOG and it was easier so i asked for a refund on steam and bought it on GOG and after I downloaded it and made a few changes it still resulted in my game crashing as soon as I pressed play. I'm this close to just giving up since I have no idea what else I can do at this point, I'm not a computer genius but I still know a bit, what is the problem at this point? How do I get it to work? Please help me as I actually was quite excited to play the game again.

    submitted by /u/Benholm22
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout themed classroom poster.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 10:02 AM PST

    https://imgur.com/gallery/W6wAGV7

    Since my classroom is fallout themed I've been slowly making posters for each topic we cover.

    submitted by /u/Jamesluke320
    [link] [comments]

    Wasted Opportunity for Enclave in Fallout 4 [SPOILERS FOR FO3 and FO4]

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 01:17 PM PST

    It seems to me that it's a waste not to have the remnant of the United States government not be involved with the story of the last non-ghoul citizen of the United States. Especially when it comes to the male protagonist story of him being a pre-war veteran.

    I know the Enclave is a notoriously xenophobic clandestine group that shuns outsiders and rarely stays true to their outward ideals, but groups can have nuance to their characteristics. On top of that, not having any interaction between the Enclave and equally clandestine and secretive Institute seems like another wasted potential. Imagine the endgame for the Institute after being attacked by the wasteland group of choice is activated Directive E, which would activate the Sentinel Site into its actual purpose, the control station holding thousands of cryopods for United States forces.

    Obviously, the mod America Rising did a great job of using some of these ideas, but it also didn't involve the Institute at all, which I feel was a waste.

    Another idea is assimilation, sleeper cell agents in the Brotherhood following the supposed destruction of the Enclave in Broken Steel. The Brotherhood in Fallout 4 is already like that anyway, might as well make it because of hidden Enclave agents grooming a young impressionable Maxson to overthrow Lyons and instate a highly anti-mutant sentiment.

    Oh well. Maybe they'll pop up again, maybe not. I'll just keep downloading mods that support my proxy war between the Minutemen and Brotherhood following their joint effort to destroy the Institute, most of their arguments stemming the continued operations of the Railroad despite Maxson's stipulation the Railroad be disbanded yet the Minutemen usually look the other way when the find hidden operations in their settlements, all the while Raiders from Nuka World raid settlements to further destabilize the region, all of these organizations funded by a disillusioned sole survivor now bent on returning America to its old ways to somehow regain the life he lost when the world ended and then his son dying.

    submitted by /u/PickolastheMan
    [link] [comments]

    My Roommate's Nuka Cola Quantum turned into Nuka Cola Quartz

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 06:13 PM PST

    I bought it for him a couple years ago and overnight it had turned completely white for some reason, wasn't gradual, just maybe like a month of having it in his room and wham. My bottle which I bought as part of his has never changed color. Just thought it'd be cool to show.

    My roommates Nuka Cola Quantum

    submitted by /u/WakeTheShark
    [link] [comments]

    Please, please help me

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 05:04 AM PST

    How do you run Fallout 3 on windows 10, i see everybody doing it with such ease, and i cant seem to find ANYTHING online. Can somebody please tell me, i reffering to the steam version, but if a pirate copy can be played i will take it.

    submitted by /u/MrRedDinosaurGreen
    [link] [comments]

    HELP WITH MISSING CHARACTER

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 04:09 AM PST

    Is it possible to get my leveled character back after I changed my psn name?

    submitted by /u/Hitmancp
    [link] [comments]

    Just reached level 20 in fallout 4. Alien isn’t spawning in

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 08:10 PM PST

    I'm pretty confused rn, considering I didn't even see the alien crashing, is their something I need to do to trigger the event or is my game just bugged?

    submitted by /u/humnumman
    [link] [comments]

    Fallout 1 infinite xp

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 05:49 PM PST

    Possible repost. I was playing fallout 1, and I found an exploit where you can get infinite xp anywhere in the game. All you have to do is use the steal skill, and repeatedly plant an item, then steal it back. You don't need to press done for this to work. It's pretty tedious, but if your stuck I could see this helping.

    submitted by /u/GenericPC48328
    [link] [comments]

    After two prior starts and giving up, I am finally getting into Fallout 4!

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 11:36 AM PST

    Really digging the game now, especially the base building aspect. Glad I tried it again.

    submitted by /u/Gtgooh
    [link] [comments]

    A year later: Fallout 76

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 02:36 AM PST

    Logged back in to give it a shot, looking forward to Wastelanders. There I was... a few other people on the map with me... all of them a world away... almost all of them 100 or 200 levels higher than me... My camp that I spent 20 hours building was gone. The plans for it? Yeah, gone. Rain was drizzling on my character, a few hundred yards away from a location that I cleared 7 times a couple years ago. My character was starving, thirsty. I tried to start rebuilding a camp, just for a moment of respite.

    I stopped.

    submitted by /u/GGAllinsMicroPenis
    [link] [comments]

    Picture tutorial for full value gold bar and pre-war money exchange

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 08:41 AM PST

    Had a verbose post for this, but went back and created a pictographic tutorial for getting full cap value of Sierra Madre gold bars and pre-war money.

    For whatever reason, the Reddit UI is refusing to let me make this as an "image" post.

    https://imgur.com/a/aiIM1it

    submitted by /u/anti_climax
    [link] [comments]

    Did Radiation remove salt from the ocean?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 07:58 AM PST

    In Fallout we can drink or bottle water from bodies of water that were previously salt water prior to the fallout. Is this because radiation removes salt from the water? Or maybe we have mutated to have a stronger digestive system so the salt doesn't matter? If someone has the answer to my burning question I'd very much like to know thank you!

    submitted by /u/TheProcureroftheOdd
    [link] [comments]

    If I leave Nuka-World during Open Season, do all the raiders respawn?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 09:02 PM PST

    I'm currently completing the quest Open Season (which I am pretty far in) and I need to return to Sanctuary to unload, repair power armor, etc. If I do this, will all the raiders respawn?

    submitted by /u/FreddyPlayz
    [link] [comments]

    New Vegas - Hardcore Mode - Very Hard

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 05:04 PM PST

    I last played this game in 2015. Never made it past level 20 and wanted to get back into it as it's the Fallout game I have played the least of by far.

    I'm playing hardcore mode on very hard difficulty.

    How fucked am I?

    I've decided to go straight to the Lonesome Road at level 2..... again.... how fucked am I?

    Cheers

    submitted by /u/MisterPrice1000
    [link] [comments]

    I have made an incredible discovery about the ingame radio

    Posted: 01 Feb 2020 12:27 AM PST

    Attention all gamers,

    I have discovered that you can go into the games core files and copy paste the songs into another folder to create your own 50s music playlist. I imagine you can also put other music into the games files.

    And more importantly, YOU CAN DELETE JOHNNY GUITAR FROM THE GAME'S FILES PERMANENTLY.

    Note: I have no experience modding so I don't know if this will stuff anything up.

    submitted by /u/AthenOwl
    [link] [comments]

    New Vegas Survival. (Skyrim-like)

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 02:36 PM PST

    EDIT 2:(Changed place of the edit for reader's convenience) People, please, JIP ""DOESN'T"" work in my system, I have no idea why... So, PLEASE, don't recomend mods that need JIP.

    Hello everyone. I'm used to playing Skyrim with the mods Campfire, Frostfall, Hunterborne and the like. I'm starting a new playthrough in NV and would like to know if there is a way to achieve a similar level of survivalism in this game?

    I've found this post and tried to use the mods recommended there (there was a comment about some "twinky" mod that I couldn't find anywhere), but some didn't work for me, like the Nevada Skyes because I can't make JIP NVSE plugin work for some reason. But Project Nevada, Dust (except the part that would prevent DLC stuff be given to me, so I disabled this mod), MCM and NVSE work properly.

    If there's anything else I could use to enhance the experience, like camping mods, functional backpacks (I downloaded "The Backpack" and am going to test it later) and realistic-ish needs, that would be appreciated. Thanks.

    submitted by /u/HelenaICP8
    [link] [comments]

    I want to get into settlement building. What are good settlements for beginners?

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 04:12 PM PST

    Is it better to start small, big, or somewhere in the middle? Which settlements are good for beginners?

    submitted by /u/NylaTheWolf
    [link] [comments]

    New Fallout games need to find a better balance for good v evil and moral ambiguity.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2020 08:19 AM PST

    So the Fallout franchise is known for being quirky and odd, with a lot of that resulting in funny, literally laugh out loud moments. But I feel like that became a bit too prevalent in 4 and 76 was just... Boring.

    NV made everything darker and horrible sounding. NCR? Authoitarian pricks, legion? Authoritarian pricks. House? Authoritarian prick. Yes man? Chaos. Every turn made things seem hopeless with few light spots showing through. It was a valient effort at not "black vs white" but "everything is grey", however, they ended up making everything dark grey instead of neutral grey.

    4 made things a bit too happy. Or rather, black vs white. Railroad? Protect the slaves. Institute? Abduct people and synth aren't real. Fuck em. (You can think synths aren't people but you're wrong, fight me.) B.O.S: Everybody but humans is garbage. Minutemen? People need our help.

    Two objectively good, two not objectively good, but not exactly authoritarian asshats. And each one could be seen as bringing good to the wasteland without too much horribleness/genocide.

    The newer games should find a balance. It's been 200 years since the bombs. No average Joe/Jane cares about the old world like no one cares about 1820 irl. Fallout needs to remember that. Each normal person in the wasteland wants to survive and exist and I think this could be used for some serious meta depression.

    For example: We know that pretty much every person not in a city/hub is a farmer, and those in cities likely have shit jobs and shit living conditions. Well why not make the farmers/workers not care about the world as a whole? When you're running around with the minutemen, everyone hops on the bandwagon and thinks friendship is great! Bur irl people wouldn't do that. They'd tell you to fuck off and let them live or die, they'd get mad your on their land or just think "that's how the world is"

    Youd be messing up their view of the world and it'd scare them. "Oh you, a lone soldier, want to kill ALL the raiders? Good luck fuck face. Get lost"

    Or, "Yeah, people die from mutant attacks, it's how life is out here."

    If fallout incorporated a more realistic world view, I feel like it could add a real deep emotional connection as the player tries to find those few people who DO care and want to help, but have those same people try and help in a way that makes sense in universe. They wouldn't want to save everyone, they'd want to help their families and help the people who can help them.

    There can be angels and devils who seek to help and destroy everything, sure, but entire factions can't be on either side without the story seeming like its pushing you to obviously one side. NV tried to do what I mentioned but dropped the ball by making everyone dickish like I said before. They did do a good job by making quite a few npcs assholes too, but I feel it could be expanded to make it not so obviously "humanity blows".

    submitted by /u/Tykuhn42
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment